Making a difference overseas through my studies

Hi my name is Campbell, and I’m a fifth year Bachelor of Laws and Bachelor of Commerce student at Deakin University, majoring in Economics. After returning from a study exchange program in the Netherlands, I was keen to head overseas again as part of my degree. Through the Work-Integrated Learning initiative at Deakin, I was given an opportunity to travel to India and work on a social impact project as part of the 40K Globe program.

40K Globe is a social entrepreneurship program that allows students from all around Australia to travel to semi-rural villages around Bangalore to work on a social impact project.

After flying into Delhi and taking a rickshaw from the airport, my first impressions of India were of utter chaotic efficiency. I clung to a hiking bag as we ducked in and out of traffic, moving between people on motorbikes holding everything from a chicken to a family of four. Finally, and with a feeling of triumph, I reached the hotel where I met my friend and we started our journey exploring India. Over the course of my stay in India, I began to appreciate the beauty in the people, the disorderly roads, public transport and cities.

At the Taj Mahal

At the Taj Mahal

There are many projects we can work on and these topics range from energy, employment and education through to health, food security and needs analysis. In small groups, led by a team leader, students are assigned to an impact project that closely aligns with their studies at university, and the other skills they are hoping to hone throughout the program.

I was assigned to work on the food security project at the ideate stage. This meant that we were in charge of taking the large amount of research gathered by previous groups, and coming up with a solid social business idea to implement in the villages we were working in.

On the first day of the program

On the first day of the program

The memorable thing from my time in the 40K Globe program would have to be the independent and engaging people that the program attracts.

The memorable thing from my time in the 40K Globe program would have to be the independent and engaging people that the program attracts. Some of my favourite memories are of my amazing team in Meenakunte (the village we were living in) and having many rooftop dinners, games nights and the occasional trip into Bangalore for drinks to bond over. Everyone in the program is so down to earth and they are really interesting people from all around Australia who have to come to India with the common goal of making a difference in the communities that they are placed in. I have found this to be something that is unique to the 40K Globe program.

Holi fight with new friends from the program

The 40K Globe program is not only a great opportunity to meet new people, learn and complete a subject overseas, but it is also something that really stands to employers when you’re applying for jobs due to the competitive job market of the current day.

Since my time as a Glober with 40K, I have gone on to secure an internship at Tennis Australia in their In-House Legal Team working on commercial deals for the upcoming Australian Open. I am currently finishing up my law degree and I have been lucky enough to interview at a range of different commercial law firms and other financial services companies. The 40K Globe program has also invited me to return to India as a team leader to lead an impact project of my own over the summer. I am so glad to have this unique opportunity to continue to apply the knowledge and skills that I have developed through my studies in the real world.

For more information on the 40K Globe program, please visit the Deakin Abroad website.