Seeing the world from a different perspective

My life was completely changed when I received an email telling me that I had won an Australia Awards Scholarship. I was in my second year of a Bachelor of Commerce at the National University of Lao before I decided to accept the scholarship and came over to study in Australia. I chose to study at Deakin University as a first year Bachelor of Commerce student.

I have never imagined that I would be able to spend some of my life studying here in Melbourne, but the Australia Awards made it possible. I chose Deakin University as it is a recommended university for international students in terms of facilities and quality of education. I am interested in commerce because I want to learn more on trading systems and how they are related to the stimulation of the country growth.

At the Royal Botanical Garden, Melbourne

I love the student services offered by Deakin because I can seek help on any problems related to my studies and life in Australia.

I love the student services offered by Deakin because I can seek help on any problems related to my studies and life in Australia. I have contacted the student adviser before arriving and they helped me set everything up. I also joined the Peer Assisted Study Sessions (PASS) program which I found very useful when I needed clarification on each of my study units.

Studying abroad was a big change for me because I had never left my family before. I was scared of being away from my family and living alone in a new environment. Surprisingly, I overcame my fears within a week by exploring and adapting to the new environments. I had a chance to manage my lifestyle and learn to cook by myself. As a result, I am having fun through the experiences I have gained so far in Australia.

The view from campus

The view from campus

I felt very overwhelmed for my first class because there was so much information to learn. Therefore, I normally use the class discussion board and prepare before each lecture. I found that the units with calculation, like accounting and finance, are enjoyable for me as I can apply those skills to manage my own budget.

I live in a shared house with mates from different countries. I found that it was quite hard to adapt to the different cultures, but once I “broke the ice” we become best friends. I have travelled to many places in Melbourne with my housemates and I have realised that people here are very friendly and communicative, which made the city more attractive.

At the Great Ocean Road with my housemates

Overall, my experience at Deakin University is remarkable because I have learned many skills and knowledge beyond studying my degree. I have learned to be sociable and independent at the same time, which will enable me to apply these skills in my future career. My student life in Melbourne is unforgettable and I am so happy that I have got the chance to see the world from a different perspective.