Taking a Chance on Deakin

Hello new friends, and thank you for being interested in a Canadian talking about herself!

My name is Alyssa and I am from Ontario. I am studying my Master of Teaching (Primary and Secondary) at Deakin University’s Melbourne Burwood Campus. In 2014 I was in Melbourne, on a working holiday exchange. I had just graduated from Canada’s University of Waterloo with a Bachelor of Arts in Legal Studies. However, by the end of my studies, I knew that law wasn’t for me. So, I hopped on a plane and hoped that Australia would solve life’s problems.

I knew that law wasn’t for me. So, I hopped on a plane and hoped that Australia would solve life’s problems.

G'day from the Great Barrier Reef

G’day from the Great Barrier Reef

Admittedly, moving to Australia and studying at Deakin was not plan A, B, or C! Did I think the idea through for a long time? No. Did I save money for the trip? No. Was it the biggest risk I have ever taken? Yes. But, do I regret it? Not a single day of it. After just one year, I fell in love with Melbourne, and I wanted to extend my time here. I also wanted to begin my career as a guidance counsellor, but that required a formal teaching qualification first.

Melbourne has so many awesome attractions, you can never be bored on a weekend.

I knew to fulfil my destiny I had to become a teacher first. I emailed many universities across Canada, but none of these options really excited me. For fun, I began to flirt with schools in Australia.

I applied to all of the universities in Melbourne. I researched scholarships and programs. And as it turned out, Deakin University had the right program, and the right scholarship, and it quickly became my first choice. Thankfully, Deakin felt the same way too and they offered me both the Master of Teaching program and the Deakin International Scholarship.

Deakin University had the right program, and the right scholarship, and it quickly became my first choice.

In February 2016 – just three months ago – I packed my bags and moved to a school I barely knew, for a program I barely knew, all because I loved the city it was in. Although some people might think this approach is silly – including my family – I was determined to get here!

At the Melbourne Burwood Campus

At the Melbourne Burwood Campus

Although my planning wasn’t ideal, it all worked out better than I imagined. I quickly found out I was attending a beautiful, prestigious university. The Melbourne campus is stunning and easy to move around, which makes it an amazing place for students. Fortunately, I never had to worry about making friends because everyone is open and engaging. And Deakin University has many international students, so there are other students in the same boat. Oh, and the staff are friendly and passionate too!

Overall, if you’re looking for a new adventure with some direction, choose Deakin University and choose Australia! I am not necessarily saying follow in my footsteps, because you may be smarter and more prepared than I was! But however you choose to get to Deakin, it will be an opportunity for new experiences, a new culture, and the chance to build a new family.