I can do this! How a Google search brought me to Deakin

My name is Sarah Anne Young, and I am studying a Bachelor of Creative Arts (Animation and Motion Capture) at the Deakin University Melbourne Burwood Campus.

I always thought I would be travelling around my own country before venturing out across the world. But after one simple Google search for ‘animation’ and ‘motion capture’, my attention was brought to Deakin University, which offered a wide range of courses across creative disciplines. After further researching the University I quickly became fixated on applying!

The view of Melbourne from Belgrave

The view of Melbourne from Belgrave

Before applying to Deakin University, I was halfway through my Bachelor of Education course at the University of Alberta in Canada. But despite my interest in teaching, I always knew that I wanted to take part in the entertainment industry, whether it be games, television or film. As soon as I discovered the course, I knew that a Bachelor of Creative Arts (Animation and Motion Capture) would help me reach my goals. I can do this!

As soon as I discovered the course, I knew that a Bachelor of Creative Arts (Animation and Motion Capture) would help me reach my goals. I can do this!

One of the compelling reasons I chose Deakin was because the application process was easy, and the entry requirements were relaxed. Despite not having extensive experience in the creative arts, or a portfolio of past work, the University encouraged me to jump right in, suit up, and immerse myself in amazing technology like the Deakin Motion Lab and the Adobe software suite.

Aus3

Mocap session at the Deakin Motion Lab

In Australia, I was welcomed with open arms. The experience of being an international student has given me a lot of independence with my future plans, paths and career trajectory. Although I have only completed the first trimester of the degree, there are still many things I want to see and do during my time here, but I feel safe and excited about the prospect of more involved throughout the duration of my degree.

Deakin accommodates and provides assistance to their students in many ways, particularly the Medical Centre and Jobshop. It is comforting that despite being here alone, I am able to confide in the University as I learn.

It is comforting that despite being here alone, I am able to confide in the University as I learn.

My experience at Deakin has been fulfilling to say the least! The highlight of each day is usually the seminars and lectures I attend as I am constantly fascinated with the content I learn. My roommates at the on-campus residences are amazing and kind and there are a ton of activities and get-togethers that make it easy for students to make friends quickly. The Deakin Orientation Week (O’Week) program was great at providing information and reassurance about settling in to life in Australia. Every feeling of anxiety, being overwhelmed, or even just a little homesick, lessens with every ‘hello’ in and out of class. Furthermore, the transportation makes it very simple to travel and all the necessities – like supermarkets – are in close proximity!

My roommates and I at the Burwood Village

My roommates and I at the on-campus residences

Coming to Australia initially felt daunting because it is so far away from Canada, and it is incredibly different to what I am used to. For example, in Canada cars drive on the right-hand side of the road, whereas in Australia they drive on the left-hand side! But after all the great new experiences I’ve had, being here in Australia just feels right. I am loving studying at Deakin, and pursuing the degree I never had the confidence to go after when I finished high school.