Goodbye for now Deakin! I’ll be back

Chinese

G’day mate! My name is Steven and I’m from China. This is my first time in Australia for the two-week study tour which is part of a joint program between Deakin University and Wuhan University of Science and Technology (WUST). I’m really grateful for such a good opportunity, and I’ll never regret coming here to experience the different lifestyle, landscape and Deakin’s campuses in Geelong.

When I first arrived, I was shocked to only see a few people on the streets even on a bright sunny day, which is totally different from the crowded streets in China. But people here are very kind and they will greet you on the street even though they don’t know you at all. If you’re a foodie, you must try the local food. I really love the chips here – they’re yummy and make me really like this place!

People here are very kind and they will greet you on the street even though they don’t know you at all.

My WUST classmates and teachers with Deakin University staff

My WUST study tour classmates and teachers with Deakin University staff

During the two-week study tour, we were impressed by the gorgeous scenery along the Great Ocean Road and experienced the really strong winds around the Twelve Apostles. We also went to a wildlife park to feed kangaroos, travelled around the Sovereign Hill and panned for gold in the river, took the train to visit the Melbourne Museum, and walked along the beaches of Geelong. I’m glad I was able to experience Australian history and culture during my stay here. Even though it would be a big challenge for me to live in Australia, I would choose to stay here if given the chance.

Even though it would be a big challenge for me to live in Australia, I would choose to stay here if given the chance.

After talking so much about sightseeing, let me tell you something about studying here. Deakin University has two campuses in Geelong – one is the Geelong Waterfront Campus, and the other is the Geelong Waurn Ponds Campus which is like a big garden. Both campuses are really beautiful.

At the Geelong Waurn Ponds Campus

At the Geelong Waurn Ponds Campus

We had English classes at the Waterfront Campus which is located in front of the beach as what the campus name implies. The whole teaching building is really well designed and modern, and we can conveniently use the facilities at any time. You can see the ocean on any level of the building. It is an absolutely terrific scene that you should never miss in good weather.

However, what impresses me most is the teaching style at Deakin. Teachers here are more like older friends – they accompany students and guide them to solve problems. And students here are more independent and competitive in their studies than those in China, which I think is due to the comfortable, flexible but rigorous academic environment.

In front of Deakin’s Centre for Advanced Design in Engineering Training, an innovative centre where students learn to become engineers

I’m fond of such an environment, and I think Deakin is for passionate people who have dreams and ambition, willing to improve themselves and not to be bound by conventional teaching and learning methods.

Now that my two-week study tour at Deakin has passed, I’ve found myself growing to love this country and this university. I’m so sure I’ll be back, because Deakin is now my dream university.

For further information about studying at Deakin and to view the many degrees on offer, visit our international student page

Navigator-enquiry banner-12-11-15