Moving to Melbourne to pursue my passion for nutrition

My initial driving force in deciding to study in Melbourne, Australia, was the fact that I have relatives in Australia. In researching universities, I discovered that Deakin University had a nutrition program and I have been interested in nutrition from a young age living in Malaysia. My journey to Australia and my dreams to study abroad was realised when I received my acceptance letter from Deakin. So it goes without saying, I’m currently pursuing a Bachelor of Food and Nutrition Sciences after transferring from Deakin College with credit.

I remember vividly how nervous I was when leaving my home country. As an international student, I was worried about the possible language barrier in regards to my studies and assignments. However, my worries were unfounded because Deakin wants its students to succeed. Deakin has a very good support system for international students. Deakin has very friendly staff and also experienced lecturers that spend extra time assisting students to understand the topics they may have difficulty with.

Deakin has very friendly staff and also experienced lecturers that spend extra time assisting students to understand the topics they may have difficulty with.

Love being part of the Deakin University Malaysian Society

Love being part of the Malaysian Society of Deakin University

In the past two years of studies at Deakin, I’ve gained insights in the importance of having a good diet and nutrition. I am now passionate about eating healthier and applying what I have learned to stay healthy. Studying food and nutrition at Deakin has given me useful insights into the food industry as well. Deakin is well equipped with all the facilities such as a library, cafés, lecture theatres and practical learning spaces.  

Deakin is well equipped with all the facilities such as a library, cafés, lecture theatres and practical learning spaces.

Living overseas alone may not be the easiest thing to do, but it is definitely a good way to experience independence. In the past two years, I have enjoyed all my undertakings here. One thing that I have chosen to do was to live on campus. The advantages to living on campus are that I am within walking distance to my classes, can meet many students from other countries and it also provides me with a good studying environment. Staying on campus is fun, exciting and convenient. Furthermore, there are many clubs and societies at Deakin. At the Melbourne Burwood Campus alone, to my knowledge, there are over 70 clubs and societies.

My final day living on campus

My final day living on campus

Apart from my studies, I’m involved in the Food and Nutrition Society and the Malaysian Society. My other passion is music, so I have joined the Boxhill Community Orchestra. I find that music is a great stress reliever. I also keep busy with volunteering and working part time as a waitress.

Bubble soccer with Malaysian society of Deakin University

Bubble soccer with the Malaysian Society of Deakin University

Studying at Deakin is definitely one of the highlights of my life. I have no regrets in choosing Deakin because it has given me an invaluable opportunity to learn and pursue my passion. With my degree, I hope to work in the food industry and also further my studies with a master’s in dietetics.

Finally, I just want to say thank you Deakin for giving me an amazing two years and I look forward to a promising future.