Choosing Deakin: It was love at first sight

Hi my fellow friends! My name is Dian and I am one of the many international students from Indonesia at Deakin University. I am currently studying my Bachelor of Health Sciences majoring in Nutrition and Health Promotion at the Geelong Waurn Ponds campus! It has been a crazy rollercoaster ride so far and I am so honoured to have this chance to share my experience about studying in Australia!

I chose to study at Deakin because Australia was love at first sight. I was supposed to study medicine at a university in Jakarta, but I changed my mind after a trip to Australia, where I stayed in Geelong for a couple weeks.

I was supposed to study medicine at a university in Jakarta, but I changed my mind after a trip to Australia, where I stayed in Geelong for a couple weeks.

Geelong is blessed with beautiful seas, such as this one in Torquay!

When I was in Geelong, I decided to check out the Deakin University Waterfront campus. Located next to the seaside, it was a really beautiful location and I immediately told my parents that I would love to study in Geelong because of the beautiful landscape.

My studies began with foundation studies at Deakin College, and I then transitioned to my bachelor’s program at the Waurn Ponds campus, which is a 20 minute drive from the Waterfront campus and Waurn Ponds features equally breathtaking scenery.

The view from Deakin University Waterfront!

I always knew that I wanted to study health sciences. Human biology was something I was really interested in when I was at secondary school. To me, the Deakin program stood out because of the flexibility of the degree. I am able to major in two specialisations that interest me, which allows me to study deeper into two distinct areas. I am thrilled with my decision to study this course. This degree has given me a broader perspective on human health and I’ve learnt to appreciate the fact that there are more dimensions to human health, beyond a biomedical perspective.

I am thrilled with my decision to study this course. This degree has given me a broader perspective on human health and I’ve learnt to appreciate the fact that there are more dimensions to human health, beyond a biomedical perspective.

Outside of my studies, I am also a part of a Deakin student club called PlanetUni (a ministry of the Planetshakers church). Through PlanetUni, I’ve met a lot of people from different cultural backgrounds and I have come to understand and appreciate Australia’s diversity. The people in the club have become my family away from home and I am thankful that I’ve had the chance to know them and hang out with them.

Catching up with friends from PlanetUni

Catching up with friends from PlanetUni (Photo: Mathew Kanjirakattu)

One thing that I’ve found out about Australia is that Facebook is really important here! Back in Indonesia, people would mainly use Blackberry Messenger, Path and WhatsApp as the main social media platforms, whereas Facebook is the main social media platform in Australia! Therefore, I reactivated my Facebook account again and started to delete my old, embarrassing statuses!

Oh, and have I mentioned how much Australians love their coffee? They have the best coffee shops in the world! Yum!

If you’re thinking about studying at Deakin, come and join me at the Waurn Ponds campus! I hope to see more Indonesians here. I know most people will tend to gravitate towards the Melbourne Burwood campus since it is located closer to the city, but I believe you will fall in love with Geelong and the Waurn Ponds campus if you give it a chance.