Welcome to our new international students for Trimester 2 2016

Deakin University welcomed its new international students from many countries around the world today at the Trimester 2 International Student Welcome.

The new students – some looking weary after a long flight, others barely able to contain their excitement – all came together to start their Deakin experience at the Melbourne Burwood Campus.

The Welcome included presentations from Deakin staff, Bupa Health and the Deakin University Student Association who introduced students to the many support services around campus. The program included morning tea, lunch, as well as a tour of Deakin’s facilities.

‘The International Student Welcome is very important for students to get a feeling of connection,’ Ms Isabelle Droulers, International Student Adviser at Deakin Life said. ‘It is an opportunity for peers to meet before class begins, to meet other students and to meet the volunteers, many of whom were once new international students themselves.’

‘Meeting the volunteers is really important because new international students enjoy talking with their peers,’ Ms Droulers said. ‘They form a really important connection, which tends to alleviate any concerns.’

Students engage at Orientation

Students engage at Orientation

For new international student Gay Marie Cosmiano, who had travelled from the Philippines to start her Bachelor of Nursing degree, starting at a new university in another country is both exciting and a bit scary.

‘I am especially excited to be here because I have heard a lot of good things about Deakin and I am really looking forward to starting my uni life here,’ Gay said. ‘I have had a tour of the campus and amazing facilities. I thought, “Cool, this is really big – I just want to stay here!”’

Qistina Khairi Wong, a business and sport management student from Singapore, visited Melbourne for an internship last year and fell in love with the city, and so decided to come to Deakin. ‘Back in Singapore one of my lecturers told me he studied at Deakin. He told me that Deakin has very good sport management courses.

‘And I know that people love the [Australian rules] football here. But I haven’t chosen a team yet!’

Gay Marie Cosmiano (left) and Qistina Khairi Wong (right) at the introductory session

Indonesian student Yenardi moved to Australia because his cousin lives here. He caught the bus to Deakin, where he is starting a Bachelor of Commerce degree. ‘Coming to Deakin was easy and everyone was friendly,’ he said. ‘The staff are friendly and the application process online was good. I knew Deakin was a good university!’

Conntect Leaders welcome new students

Conntect Leaders welcome new students

The International Student Welcome would not be possible without the help of the Connect Leader volunteers. These Deakin students work to ensure that all new international students have a smooth transition to their university life.

‘We direct students to lecture rooms and to wherever they need to go on campus,’ said Zhenliang Qin, Connect Leader and current student from China. ‘It’s a really good chance for them to get to know their campus and each other and to make new friends. It’s really important for their uni life.’