A nurse’s dream come true

My name is Annabelle and I’m a registered nurse from the Philippines. I’m studying a Bachelor of Nursing at Deakin University to become an Australian nurse as well. I am also a recipient of Deakin University International Scholars Program (DUISP).

Since I was young, I’ve always dreamt of becoming a nurse to make a real and positive change to people’s lives. I’ve always had an interest in caring for people and the thought of working in a huge hospital environment where I can be involved in the medical treatments of patients makes me feel excited. Furthermore, I know it is a financially rewarding and secure career where there are many employment opportunities for graduates.

Nursing uniform on – ready for another day at Deakin

Choosing to further my studies in Australia was a very challenging decision – a new environment, diverse culture and most of all, different methods of learning. At first, I thought it would be very hard for me to adjust to a different country but I was wrong. Australians are very warm and compassionate people. They treat everyone with respect and dignity – all of which made it easier for me to adapt to my new life in Australia.

Australians are very warm and compassionate people. They treat everyone with respect and dignity – all of which made it easier for me to adapt to my new life in Australia.

Melbourne seems to have it all in a colourful and imaginative setting, whether it’s studying, relaxing, shopping, dining or sight-seeing. The pristine beauty of Melbourne dominates over suburban landscapes together with its diverse range of wildlife and nature. Another reason why I love living in Australia is because it is extremely multicultural and people recognise many different beliefs, values and ways of life.

Exploring

Exploring Melbourne city on my day off

I believe that Deakin University will provide me with the skills, abilities, and knowledge that are highly sought after in most healthcare institutions. Luckily, Deakin granted me an academic scholarship – the Deakin University International Scholars Program (DUISP). Receiving this scholarship encouraged me to work harder and to not just settle for what is enough.

With my nursing background in the Philippines, I can say that Australian nursing education made it even better by honing my skills and sharpening my knowledge. Deakin University’s extensive clinical placements help me understand complex knowledge into simpler ways and develop my resilience and decision-making skills.

Having lunch with my nursing classmates from Deakin

I was fortunate enough to find a job in my second-week stay in Australia. I was immediately accepted in an aged care facility when I told them that I was a Deakin nursing student, studying a Bachelor of Nursing course. Balancing both studies and work entails a lot of perseverance and time management. Good thing I have my partner and newly found friends with me who never fail to support all my endeavours, especially when I feel like giving up.

asfasdf

Couldn’t have done it without my partner Wesley – thank you!

Although nursing can be a very demanding profession, it can also be very satisfying, especially when your aim is to provide high-quality, person-centred and evidence-based care towards improving patient outcomes. There is nowhere better to develop your skills and knowledge than at Deakin University.