Thanks mum and dad! My life in Melbourne

Hi, my name is Mai, otherwise known as Cathie, and I come from Vietnam. I started my Bachelor of Creative Arts (Visual Communication Design) at Deakin University in 2014, and this will be my final year at Deakin. Like many other students from Vietnam, I also studied a short English course at the Deakin University English Language Institute (DUELI).

When I first left my home country, my mum was worried about me so she accompanied me from Vietnam to Melbourne. She wanted to know where my university was and where I was going to stay. I was lucky to already have friends in Melbourne, and when I first arrived they helped me to understand Australian culture, and they showed me around Melbourne, and the different attractions around Victoria. Some of my favourite locations were Sovereign Hill in Ballarat, the famous Great Ocean Road and Phillip Island. I will definitely visit these attractions again.

Having fun at the Great Ocean Road - a popular attraction

Having fun at the Great Ocean Road – a popular attraction in Victoria

Having lived in Melbourne for three years now, I see Melbourne as my second home. I really enjoy how multicultural Australia is, and the attractions in Melbourne are really amazing. My English has improved so much since arriving in Australia, and I always speak as much English as I can when I go out with my friends.

Always good to practice my English with friends

The reason I chose to study at Deakin University is because I believe Deakin will give me a good path for my future after I graduate. I have been preparing for my future by gaining work experience through volunteering at different design companies and completing a summer internship.

Deakin University has great facilities and useful services. The library is extremely impressive because of the architecture and the useful books available to students. Although sometimes I feel frustrated when I need to look for books because there are too many – it’s hard to select just one!

Furthermore, all my lecturers have been very friendly and helpful. They are willing to assist students whenever they need and I really appreciate their help. I have no regrets choosing to study in Australia. I am proud to be a Deakin University student.

I have no regrets choosing to study in Australia. I am proud to be a Deakin University student.

To all the new international students at Deakin – studying abroad can be a challenge and nothing is easy, but if you have a passion for your studies then you will be successful because if you do not try build your dream then someone will hire you to build their dream in the future.

Finally, I would like to take this opportunity to say thanks to my mum and my dad who have always supported, taken care, and trusted me with this opportunity to build my future in Australia.

Thank you mum and dad for this opportunity