Getting hands-on with a practical Deakin Creative Arts degree

Hi everyone! I’m Abigail from Singapore. Singapore is a small sunny island in South-East Asia. I moved to Australia in 2015 to study a Bachelors in Creative Arts in Film and Television at Deakin University.

I don’t think anyone would ever be fully prepared for a move like this. Up until the day I left Singapore, I was still unsure if I had gone down the right path of going to a university, especially one that is overseas. I’ve always wanted to experience living abroad, but I never thought that I would have the opportunity to do so. So, at that point in time, it all felt so surreal. It just felt as if I was going on a holiday, but a really long holiday to Australia.

With that, friends and family gathered at the airport to send my twin sister and myself off. My sister will be attending Deakin College, and after a year of college, she’ll go straight into Deakin University after her second year. But yes. The moment had come. It was a love-hate situation. I loved that I would be living and studying in Melbourne, but hated that I had to leave my friends and family.

Me and my twin sister at Philip Island - a popular attraction in Victoria

Spot the difference! Me and my twin sister at Philip Island – a popular attraction in Victoria

Thankfully, having my sister with me made things easier, and it made things feel a little bit more like home. The first few weeks were busy trying to settle in, and I found myself looking at Google Maps so often, trying to familiarise myself with the surroundings. We needed to know things like where to buy groceries, where the nearest shopping centre was and things like that.

Fast forward to today and I’m in my second semester of my first year, and I’m enjoying the lectures and tutorials. The units I am taking are really useful and practical for my course of study. The hands-on approach truly helps me to prepare for the industry, as the units are more practical rather than just being theoretical. Friends from other universities have commented that they admire Deakin’s practical teaching approach. This is certainly what I have valued as a student.

Friends from other universities have commented that they admire Deakin’s practical teaching approach. This is certainly what I have valued as a student.

I’ve made lots of friends from joining the International Bible Fellowship (Christian Union) – a student club at Deakin, and have met people from different parts of the world. It’s very interesting getting to know more about their culture and sharing with them my culture as well.

International Bible Fellowship (Christian Union) Group

With the International Bible Fellowship (Christian Union) Group

Another thing I love about Deakin is that they provide students with plenty of welfare and academic support. The University offers a huge variety of workshops, including cooking workshops, which would be really helpful for people who do not know how to cook. Deakin is a great place to be and I’m extremely grateful to be studying here. Melbourne is a wonderful and fun place to live in and I hope to make the most of my experience here.