Making the best use of my time as a Deakin education student

Chinese

My name is Nicole and I come from Chengdu, China. I am studying a Master of Teaching (Early Childhood) at Deakin University’s Melbourne Burwood Campus.

When I resigned from a stable job at a Chinese airline and came to study in Australia, I had no idea just how much this decision would change my life. And it did. Studying in Australia meant that I had to adapt to a new culture and a totally different study methodology. Deakin University has been very supportive in helping me to adjust to university life here, and it has completely changed my view and attitude towards study. I have learnt here that study can be intense, challenging but very fun at the same time.

Enjoying my holiday at Paynesville, a seaside resort in Victoria

The support and warm-heartedness from Deakin University staff and students – many from all over the world – has made me feel very welcome, and has enabled me to quickly immerse myself in the Australian learning environment. My initial anxiety gradually diminished over time as I became more confident and more accustomed to the open-minded, research-based learning mode here. In my previous studies, I have never experienced such an enriching and supportive university life. My time at Deakin has encouraged me to open my mind and make new friends.

Studying in Australia also requires me to ‘make friends with time’ and to make the best use of it. In my studies, there is a great deal of research and academic writing that are part of my assignments. These tasks often take a lot of time, so I have learnt good time management skills to achieve maximum efficiency out of a day. For the first time in my life, I have even indulged in studying in the library! Deakin’s library has a comfortable and calming atmosphere. It is the perfect place to get into a one-hundred percent concentration mode for study.

Just like the slogan in front of the library says, studying at Deakin definitely opens your world

Furthermore, Deakin’s Master of Teaching (Early Childhood) course provides lots of placement opportunities, which helps me to refine my professional knowledge and skills. Through these placements, I have gained important workplace experience, and have improved my problem solving and critical thinking abilities.

But despite my new skills and experiences, I believe the most important skills for new teachers are things that can’t be taught: personality, enthusiasm and a genuine interest in children. These character traits really help with teaching practice and will define the success of future teachers.

For further information about studying at Deakin and to view the many degrees on offer, visit our international student page

Navigator-enquiry banner-12-11-15