Unforgettable Australia

Hello everyone, my name is Malik Usama Ahmed Rahim and I’m from Islamabad in Pakistan. I am currently studying a Bachelor of Commerce, majoring in Accounting and Finance and hoping to graduate in 2016. Before studying at Deakin University, I completed a Diploma of Commerce at Deakin College – a pathway course to get into Deakin University.

When I realised that my home country could not quench my thirst for knowledge, I explored opportunities to study abroad. After extensive research, I shortlisted Australia as the destination to pursue my studies. I explored many Australian universities, but there was something about Deakin that caught my eye. Deakin is a relatively new university making big noise with significant achievements and awards. I always believed that if you are part of the organisation which is growing stronger, you grow with the organisation and new avenues will arise for you to explore.

Melbourne Burwood Campus

The Deakin University Melbourne Burwood Campus

As a migrant from Pakistan, I initially found it very difficult to adapt to the the way of life in Australia. Everything was totally new to me and although I faced a lot of hardships adjusting to the new environment, culture, climate and a very different lifestyle, it was a life-changing experience for me.

Everything was totally new to me and although I faced a lot of hardships adjusting to the new environment, culture, climate and a very different lifestyle, it was a life-changing experience for me.

Every experience taught me a lesson that made me a better person. I still get goosebumps when I recall my excitement and fear attending my first class at Deakin University. I have made many close friends by talking to my classmates in lecture theatres and tutorials.

Making new friends in Australia

One highlight of my time studying at Deakin is working as a Deakin College student representative/mentor. It was a golden opportunity for me to improve and showcase my leadership skills. As a student representative, I assist new students during orientation and arrange social and cultural events to make them feel welcome at Deakin. Knowing first-hand the challenges that come with moving to a new country, I’m glad I am able to help new students overcome their challenges and to make their time in Australia, a pleasant one.

With other Deakin College

With other Deakin College student representatives

As I am nearing the completion of my studies, I have been preparing to enter the workforce. I have been meeting with my academics for advice and closely liaising with the Deakin JobShop to identify graduate job opportunities and internships. After graduating from Deakin, I have plans to complete a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) course and work for one of the Big Four accounting firms (PricewaterhouseCoopers, Deloitte, Ernst & Young and KPMG).

Overall, I am having a great time at Deakin University and I believe it is one of the best universities to gain an education. I have never experienced so much diversity anytime in my life. Adding on to this, the friendly staff, the beautiful environment and the campus facilities have made my time in Australia an unforgettable one.