Like a kid in a playground – research opportunities at Deakin

Coming to Australia was a childhood dream. A country of large empty space with astonishing landscape, an extremely rich endemic wildlife and a strong outdoor sports culture – so all that I love. There is nothing comparable in Europe!

My journey at Deakin started in 2012. I came to the Institute for Frontier Materials (IFM) for a seven-month internship to achieve my Master Degree in France. I left Paris’ cold weather in March 2012 and arrived to Australia at 10am. It was sunny and already >30°C. People were friendly, helpful, and Melbourne’s atmosphere was so peaceful and relaxing, I loved it straight away!

People were friendly, helpful, and Melbourne’s atmosphere was so peaceful and relaxing, I loved it straight away!

At Johanna Beach in Melbourne

At Johanna Beach in Melbourne

During the internship my supervisor gave me the opportunity to continue my project through a PhD that I should finish next year. I didn’t hesitate for a minute regarding the amazing facilities provided by the IFM and the opportunity to be trained on world-class equipment. It was an amazing chance for the future!

Regarding the facilities at IFM, being a PhD student there, it’s a bit like being kid in a huge playground because you have the opportunity to ‘play/use’, responsibly of course, with so much equipment and try so many things to conduct your research. It definitely keeps alive a small part of your kid soul…

In the lab

Working in the lab – like a kid in a playground

Deakin gives the opportunity to PhD students to attend many events either in Geelong, Melbourne or further. Through these events, I have been able to meet a lot of researchers and industries to improve my network for the future and to collaborate or get access to world class facilities such as Australian Nuclear Science and Technology Organisation (ANSTO) or the Australian Synchrotron to conduct extra experiments for my PhD.

The PhD is also a great opportunity to enjoy everything Australia can offer, social time, travelling and outdoor sport! Despite the small city centre, Geelong is a great location, close to the surf coast, as now I can’t spend a week without surfing either in winter or summer, the You Yangs for mountain biking, the Grampians for hiking and Melbourne is just a one hour drive.

Anyway, doing a PhD in Australia creates a lot of professional and personal opportunities in a healthy environment!

Exploring Geelong from above

On a helicopter tour to explore Geelong from above