Volunteering at Deakin: How helping others helped me

As with all the journeys in life, there is always a beginning. My journey at Deakin University began as a new Master of Information Technology (Professional) student struggling to adapt to a new society, a new culture and a foreign language.

Fast-forward twelve months and I am now an International Student Support leader, President of the Deakin Cultural Diversity (DCDC) Club and have been awarded by the Deakin University Student Association (DUSA) as ‘The most supportive volunteer for 2015’. I personally believe that participating in student clubs is an integral part of any student’s university experience. It is one of the easiest ways to get involved, meet new people, learn about different religions, cultures and societies and basically have an awesome time.

I personally believe that participating in student clubs is an integral part of any student’s university experience. It is one of the easiest ways to get involved, meet new people, learn about different religions, cultures and societies and basically have an awesome time.

Winners are grinners: My award for ‘The most supportive volunteer for 2015’

As the president of the DCDC, my ambition is to enrich the university experience of local and international students by organising events and activities where people from different cultures and religions can come together, interact with each other and make new friends. Throughout the academic year, we hold various activities, from casual recreational sports to cultural festivals, social events, and extreme day-trips including skydiving, surfing and rock climbing.

As an International Student Support leader, we help new students make a successful start at Deakin by assisting them during orientation and throughout their entire degree. As students ourselves, we understand the dilemmas and difficulties that new students face.

I personally believe that my role as the president of DCDC and volunteering as an International Student Support leader has been, and still is, a rewarding experience. I have met some great people along the way and I have learned a lot.

Helping new students at Deakin as an International Student Support Leader

Throughout my journey, I have been exposed to people of different cultures and backgrounds and from these experiences I have grasped important life lessons.

Throughout my journey, I have been exposed to people of different cultures and backgrounds and from these experiences I have grasped important life lessons. I have discovered that people can be good or bad, regardless of their religion, culture, or the country they come from.

Additionally, these experiences have helped me boost my self-confidence, improve my critical thinking skills, and become better at time management. Each new experience required me to adapt and learn, and has subsequently allowed to me enrich my knowledge, curiosity and passion.

I have also acknowledged that being optimistic and enthusiastic are the two most critical assets that help in fulfilling one’s goals. As a leader, I strive to be collaborative and inclusive as possible with my club members.

In a nutshell, my journey at Deakin has been nothing but wonderful. I’m proud to be part of Deakin!