Mastering Creative Arts in Melbourne

My name is Erica Tudtud. I’m a Master of Creative Arts student, majoring in Visual Communication Design, but when I’m not busy studying on campus, I also work as a professional actor and freelance model in Melbourne.

My interest in creative arts and visual communication design comes from my experiences studying my degree in Interior Design at the University of San Carlos in Cebu, Philippines. During this course I worked for two furniture companies to practice my skills and was lucky enough to be chosen as one of the exhibitors for the Cebu Furniture Industries Foundation (CFIF). It was indeed great exposure for me. Seeing my design come to life was one of my greatest achievements, and inspired me to pursue further studies in this area.

Deciding to study a Master of Creative Arts at Deakin was an easy choice, as it is one of the top schools in the world.

Deciding to study a Master of Creative Arts at Deakin was an easy choice, as it is one of the top schools in the world. I chose Visual Communication Design because I also wanted to learn how to advertise and promote my designs. I was awarded a Deakin International Scholarship which has inspired me to strive harder.

In my first year at Deakin (Melbourne Burwood Campus), I met many interesting students of different nationalities. I love the fact that I was able to mingle with them and share each other’s cultural heritage, especially during the orientation week. I also enjoyed all my classes since it helped me unpack so many great ideas in my mind. Our off-campus tours around the beautiful museums were definitely very educational. Seeing different artworks from artists all over the world was fantastic! It was indeed a memorable experience for me.

Melbourne Burwood Campus

The beautiful Melbourne Burwood Campus

I enjoy my assignments, in particular writing essays and doing oral presentations, since I was able to express myself more as an artist. I also had classes wherein I learned effective marketing strategies that can be applied in selling my future artworks and other creative ideas that I have in mind. I believe that artists are also entrepreneurs and business is indeed useful in the field of Creative Arts. I also had a class wherein I learned certain laws from great artists/philosophers and ethical procedures that artists must consider before creating something.

To help us focus on our majors, each student is assigned a supervisor to assist with our major projects. In my experience, my supervisor was indeed very humble and kind. He was very accommodating and willing to help me at all times. My other teachers were also very approachable. We both did one on one and group consultation, depending on the time. As a creative artist, the project that I came up with is a combination of all my skills and talents. It is also a pathway for the Filipino cultural evolution. I have created RICA Designs, a retail brand that showcases the contemporary product interpretation (clothes, shoes, accessories, furniture) of aboriginal and historical symbols of the Philippines. I was also a member of the Deakin Voice club and DUSA (Deakin University Student Association).

My friends and I along the Great Ocean Road

Taking time out from my studies to visit the Great Ocean Road with friends

Besides having excellent facilities and highly professional educators, Deakin always has a friendly community. Here, our teachers can also be our friends. After excelling in my studies last year, I was selected to partake in the Student Mentor Program. It would really be an honour to help my fellow Deakin students before I graduate at the end of this year.

Overall, Deakin trains artists not only to enhance their creativity, but also to be righteous and dignified. Deakin, located in the beautiful and artistic country of Australia, is indeed a very conducive institution for learning. I believe that the University can help me improve my skills and also prepare me to become one of the future role-models in the field of Creative Arts. After attaining my Masters degree, I would be eager to work as an event manager/coordinator for the National Gallery of Victoria. It is one of my dreams to be able to manage certain art events/exhibits. I would also love to work in branding design companies in Melbourne.