Coming to Melbourne for an amazing adventure

G’day, mates! My name is Nanako and I am a Study Abroad student from Japan. I’ve dreamt of studying abroad since I was a child, and I achieved it when I came to Australia. Being here has been an amazing experience and it has opened my mind.

My journey started in March 2015. The first weeks were not easy at all. I missed my family and my friends, but the Australian people in my homestay accommodation and at Deakin were so welcoming and helped me to cope with this challenge.

The Australian people in my homestay accommodation and at Deakin were so welcoming and helped me to cope with this challenge.

Right after arriving in Australia, I started studying at the Deakin University English Language Institute (DUELI), where I met many, many friends from all over the world. It was one of my aims to get as many friends as I can. I made friends quickly and they are still like family today! Everyone, including me, felt nervous when we came to a new country, but the DUELI environment quickly solved this problem! At DUELI, I enjoyed a lot with my amazing classmates. Also the teachers were so motivating, friendly and kind. The time I spent at DUELI was one of the most important and enjoyable experiences I’ve had.

DUELI festival with my mum and my best Vietnamese friend

At the DUELI festival with my mum and my best friend from Vietnam

After DUELI, I started university at Deakin. The environment at Deakin is the best I’ve ever experienced! Deakin provides a high-quality education, efficient teaching system, and pleasant studying places.

Professors and staff at Deakin are also very nice. They are very welcoming to international students and are always helpful. I was so impressed about the understanding that have for international students in my first trimester.

When I started university, I decided to move to the student accommodation at the Melbourne Burwood Campus. It gave me the chance to meet new people that I can keep in touch with for a long time, even when we are in different countries, and one day we will meet again! At the student accommodation, there are always different activities and cultural celebrations where I had the chance to interact with many students.

Nanako with koala

Making friends with the locals

Melbourne is such a beautiful place to live and travel! You can enjoy each day in a different place! I have been to many places in Victoria, such as Phillip Island, Great Ocean Road, Mornington Peninsula, and many places in Melbourne! Victoria is such a beautiful place which has an amazing central city, historical architecture, nature, beautiful beaches, and a beautiful outback….everything! I am always so proud of coming to Melbourne, I am living in the most liveable city in the world!

There are so many things I’d like to say…all I can think about now is, ‘Thanks Deakin! Thanks Melbourne!’. At Deakin University, you will fall in love with everything on it – the campus, people, environment, and education of course! Why not study at Deakin? What are you waiting for?