New culture, new memories. Thanks Australia!

Hi, my name is Ida Mari Gundersen and I studied abroad at Deakin University in 2015. My stay at Deakin was one of the greatest times of my life. I met people from all over the world and made new friendships I hope will last a lifetime. To do a semester abroad is not only about the studying, but about experiencing and learning a new culture and getting new memories for life. And this is exactly what Australia has done for me.

I decided to do my semester abroad in Australia because it is a country you hear so much about, but rarely have the opportunity to visit. When I heard that my school back at home had an exchange deal in Melbourne, I knew this was my chance to not only visit Australia, but to live there for four months!

When I heard that my school back at home had an exchange deal in Melbourne, I knew this was my chance to not only visit Australia, but to live there for four months!

Deakin is a totally different university than back at home, mostly because we only have 6000 students at Universitetet I Nordland. Deakin’s beautiful campus and environment is inspiring, and the classes I took were nice. The student seminars helped me with the studies and the teachers were always helpful when I had a question. Overall Deakin have provided me with the best student stay I could have asked for.

I would say that the experiences I have collected through my new friendships and the travels I have shared with them have been the absolute highlight of my exchange. In the trimester break I travelled to Sydney and Cairns with my new American friends, and I taught them some Norwegian while they taught me to eat a burger with my hands. We sailed in the Sydney Harbour, jumped in freezing water in Cairns and laughed the whole trip through!

At the Grampians National Park with a bunch of friends

Experiencing the Great Ocean Road was also one of the absolute peaks of my time in Australia. A bunch of friends and I hired a car, brought some tents and sleeping bags and hit the road. I spent four days with some of the most adventurous and fun people I know. The scenery was incredible, but it was my new friends that made the trip the wonderful memory I have today and will treasure for the rest of my life.

Australia has not only challenged me intellectually through studies, I have also explored sides of myself I never knew. I climbed a 10-meter wall in Melbourne, did sky jumping in Cairns, went sailing in Sydney and hired a campervan in Tasmania. I have travelled and done so many new things I would only dream of before coming here. So if you are ever wondering about travelling to Australia, to study at Deakin University, just do it. Because you will not regret it for a heartbeat.

My lovely friends from my home university and I at Wineglass Bay in Tasmania

To learn more about Deakin University and opportunities for international students, visit the Deakin International webpage or ask a question below.