A big step and the next challenge towards my dream

When I was in secondary school, I met Australia for the first time in my geography textbook. I was attracted by this beautiful country. From then I hoped that someday I could fly to Australia for a trip, or to live there to do further study.

Finally, when a Deakin supervisor came to my university for a lecture, I had an opportunity to talk to him. He told me lots of interesting things about Deakin and welcomed me to study at the University. After taking the IELTS test, I stepped on the land of Australia.

I have to say that Deakin is worthy of the word ‘worldly’. The students come from all over the world and form a big global family. There is no other campus like the Geelong Waterfront Campus – it has such a wonderful seaside view from the window. When sitting at the library by the window, I always feel comfortable.

There is no other campus like the Geelong Waterfront Campus – it has such a wonderful seaside view from the window.

Friends at beach

With my friends at the beach

I have met lots of friends from different countries and they help me a lot when I feel stressed with my assignments. Also, the academics of the Faculty of Science, Engineering and Built Environment are very kind to me and give me suggestions to improve my study, especially my supervisor.

I have met lots of friends from different countries and they help me a lot when I feel stressed with my assignments.

Deciding to conduct PhD study is a big step for me, and also a big challenge. However, my family, my friends and my country are supporting me to be stronger.

At the beginning of my last trimester, my supervisor suggested I apply for a PhD as well as the Chinese Government Scholarship to support my study. Every year the Chinese Government, through the China Scholarship Council, sponsor outstanding students to commence their PhD programs in overseas universities in order to prepare talents for the development of the country. The scholarships are very competitive, but finally I passed the application due to some research work during my bachelor study and a satisfactory IELTS score. I am one of only a few applicants from Deakin who have been successful so far, the Faculty even reported this in their newsletter!

When I stood on the stage at my graduation ceremony, I felt so grateful to Deakin and my country. Deakin offered me a precious study experience and academic environment while my country gave me the opportunity to continue further study and to purchase my Chinese dream. I have got more confidence, both in life and study. I am now independent and have more confidence working with my peers.

Graduation Day with classmates

Graduation Day with classmates

For further information about studying at Deakin and to view the many degrees on offer, visit our international student page. Or ask us a question by visiting our international student enquiry page – we’re happy to help you get to know Deakin better.

Navigator-enquiry banner-12-11-15