Improving my English, studying and working in Australia

Chinese

Hi, my name is Max Xiao, I am from China, and I study Master of Commerce at Deakin. The reason I study overseas at Deakin University is very simple – for a better career.

When I arrived in Australia, my English was not good enough to work here, so I chose to study English at the Deakin University English Language institute (DUELI). After 15 weeks of academic English learning, my English became quite good, and my teacher even told me that my English was close to that of Australian locals. So I began to look for jobs.

sf

The hallways of DUELI

It is not easy for a new international student to find a job. I didn’t have any experience here, and I didn’t know where to start. Fortunately, there is one place at Deakin that was able to help me, the ’Jobshop’. Rob Vague, the career counsellor at Deakin Jobshop, helped me with resume writing and interview preparation. With his guidance, I got my first job – volunteering at the RSPCA, a non-governmental organisation (NGO) that works to protect animals. I chose to work at the RSPCA for a variety of reasons, but in particular because its main office is near the Deakin University Burwood campus.

After a few months of volunteering, my English communication and team work skills improved considerably. Meanwhile, my university course started, so I began to look for internships. At Deakin, all students have the opportunity to seek an internship, with some internships being paid programs, and many adding credit to our degrees. The internship I chose is called the ‘DUELI Leadership Program’. I worked for the program as a paid intern to support new students during orientation, assist campus visitor tours, and help to organise student events across the University.

With the other DUELI student leaders

With the other DUELI student leaders

During my internship, I worked in a professional team environment. The other DUELI leaders started out as colleagues, but over time they became my friends. I feel fantastic while I am working, and I have also made big progress. Through this internship, I have developed my team work skills and improved my problem solving abilities.

Through this internship, I have developed my team work skills and improved my problem solving abilities.

With the improvement I gained from the internship and the professional knowledge I gained from my first trimester of studies, I started looking for a full-time summer holiday internship. Again, I asked the Jobshop career counsellor for help before I sent out my resume. I was lucky enough to receive an offer from Vodafone, a telecommunication company among the Top 500.

Now, my second trimester of university will start in a few weeks. I can’t wait to gain more knowledge to improve myself, and I am ready for the next step in my career. Thanks Deakin for offering so many work-related programs for students. I have to say that studying at Deakin is the best investment I have ever made.

You can find out more information on how to apply or accept your offer from Deakin here.

Navigator-enquiry banner-12-11-15