Balancing work and study in Australia

Life in a foreign country is never as easy as it seems, let alone the thought of being away from my family, of not knowing what lies ahead and of being immersed in a culture totally different from my own. While I can say that it definitely takes a lot of courage, patience and perseverance to survive and succeed, I am proud to say that I somehow managed to still be standing amidst everything.

When I first arrived in Australia, I was fortunate enough to be in Geelong, a place I can call my second home. Not a single moment did I feel aloof because I am different from the others, for Australia is a multicultural country. With the time spent in Australia I can say that, generally, the people are kind hearted which made me realise that I was able to adjust sooner than I expected.

With the time spent in Australia I can say that, generally, the people are kind hearted which made me realise that I was able to adjust sooner than I expected.

The spectacular views from the Geelong campus

Moreover, I am privileged to study in one of the best universities in the country, Deakin University. I would like to commend the school’s efforts and services to help new students in the university. For instance the peer mentoring wherein a mentor is assigned to answer queries and assist new students in their first few weeks at the university. I am glad to say that I had the chance to take part and be a mentor of four students. It was a great experience because I got the chance to help other students and to improve my English skills at the same time.

Me and my friends

Hanging out with my friends at uni

Not only that, I was given the chance to work in an aged care facility where I can learn more about the culture of Australians, enhance my English fluency and most of all shape my skills to be a better nurse in the future. I must admit that it is not easy at first, working and at the same time striving hard to be on top of my studies. During my days off from school, I grab the opportunity to work. It’s worth the sacrifice knowing that at the end of the day I am not doing all of this merely for myself but for my loved ones.

Overall, it is noteworthy to say that I am blessed to be in Australia! Good luck and God bless everyone. I would like to conclude with the common Aussie slang “see you later”.