An Internship I’ll Never Forget

My name is Anna. I am a second year Commerce student majoring in Finance and Management. As I am nearing the end of my degree, I wanted to complete an internship to stand out from the crowd when I graduate and begin looking for work.

After going to see a Deakin Work Integrated Learning (WIL) advisor, I was given an insight into the many opportunities that the University offers. Wanting to do something in Asia due to the booming Asian economy, I applied for the Malaysia Group Internship and fortunately enough, I got it!

Alongside my team members, Luke, Erandi and Charles.

As part of our project, we visited a school where we were given a tour of a mushroom farm. Although we were initially confused about the visit, it turned out that the mushroom farm was one of the programs our host organisation had implemented.

The mushroom farm was located at a school called Sekolah Model Khas Bukit Jenun (SMKBJ), and its purpose was to educate intellectually disabled students through practical skills, such as growing mushrooms, instead of the traditional intellectual skills that most schools focus on. This was such as inspiring initiative to allow these amazing students a sense of opportunity after school!

Its purpose was to educate intellectually disabled students through practical skills, such as growing mushrooms.

Given Malaysia’s large population, and the challenges associated with special needs education, the initiative was simply inspiring.

That evening, every one of my team members returned to the hotel with a big smile. We were so grateful to be able to visit the school, and to visit the amazing students who had more practical skills than we do!

My experience in Malaysia was simply inspiring!

Taking part in the Malaysia Group Internship was one of the best experiences I’ve ever had. Although at times it can be quite challenging due to the cultural differences between the two countries, it has taught me so much in terms of business and it has also taught me a lot about myself personally. The internship allowed me to learn about team and individual challenges and weaknesses, and how these can be developed into strengths for the future.