Designing my architecture career in Australia

Before Deakin I was very sheltered and protected. I depended a lot on my parents and I was exceedingly comfortable under their care. Many children go through this and we know it isn’t forever. It was a great life, and I’m glad I enjoyed and appreciated it while I could.

Then Deakin happened and it was the best thing that could happen for me. It wasn’t easy leaving Malaysia – the place I call home – but I knew it would get me a step closer to becoming a great architect.

Swimming with dolphins and seals in Sorrento with family

It wasn’t my first time in Australia but it surely felt like it, as I saw everything differently but in an exciting way. Adapting was easier than I thought because the people I met were friendly and very easy to get along with. I also met a few other Malaysians and they seem to have been enjoying their time in Deakin, which made me very optimistic. They were also doing very well in their studies and just by conversing with them that gave me a lot of positive energy.

Adapting was easier than I thought because the people I met were friendly and very easy to get along with.

People at Deakin are extremely helpful and would always give you their time whether a teacher, an admin staff member or a student. Everybody seems to want to help and make your life easier. Back home, we’re used to ‘kiasu’ people, which doesn’t have a direct translation but is close to the meaning of being selfish and not wanting to share. You don’t meet many kiasu people in Deakin.

Looking out at SkyHigh Mt Dandenong, Melbourne

Exploring Melbourne’s surroundings at SkyHigh Mt Dandenong

Teachers are also wonderful at Deakin as there are a wide range of professionals teaching you. They specialise in many things and it is always delightful having conversations with them as they are very passionate and very approachable. I am currently enrolled and very much enjoying a design masterclass, the final design subject in my course. As much as I have enjoyed my previous subjects, Architectural Design and Resolution was very interesting and one of my favourite subjects as it was solely on conversations about architecture and nothing else. It went into great depth and has changed the way I look at things. Transnational Megaproject wasn’t just a history lesson but much more than that. I really enjoyed the readings as well as analysing and presenting my thoughts on them.

Architectural Design and Resolution… went into great depth and has changed the way I look at things.

Architecture in Urban Context was also a subject I really liked as it taught me the richness in the experiences that architecture can create. I worked hard on my final section which was about celebrating the human element of market, connection with farmers, food and people. My section told a story was about the education on the life cycle of producing food; right from growing, to harvesting, storing, cooking and composting. It was all the about the experience. One of the activities in this section was a tea house that showed the rotation of the tea leaves to people sipping tea. It was a memorable experience for my project to be displayed in the Deakin Gallery and I’ve definitely learned a lot and hope to improve myself even more in the future.