Chasing my dream, and studying Public Relations in Australia

“An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest.”

This quote by Benjamin Franklin is, and always will be, my favourite. Simply because it is one of the reasons on why I chose to study here at Deakin University. Was investing in my knowledge easy? Definitely not. Was it worth it? Definitely yes.

To start off, let me introduce myself. My name is Putu Yesy Dinda Pniel, but you can call me ‘Yesy’ for short. I am from Indonesia, and I am studying a Bachelor of Arts majoring in Public Relations at the Burwood campus.

There are heaps of reasons why I chose Public Relations as my major. Mainly because I have always loved speaking in public and writing. I grew up as an extroverted kid and to channel it in a positive way, I engaged myself with several competitions involving those two skills, including a spelling bee, news reporting, debating – you name it.

During my final year in high school, I did some research on how to build a career out of my two passions – speaking and writing. After hours of reading and Google-ing what public relations is all about, I was very sure that this is what I need to pursue.

I first asked my dad for his permission to study abroad to Melbourne, and he said yes. I then studied at Deakin College in Jakarta for 8 months to fast-track my entry into Deakin University. During my time at Deakin College, I was delighted to receive the Navitas Academic Merit Scholarship, and 2 weeks after I finished at Deakin College, I flew to Melbourne to continue my journey to Deakin University.

And this is where it gets challenging.

IMG_0001_2

Exploring the Great Ocean Road in Australia

The first two weeks in Australia were the hardest. I came to realise that living abroad by yourself is not easy. I had to cope with many things, from cultural differences between Australia and Indonesia to the simplest things like doing my own chores. Despite the struggles that I experienced upon moving here, I still enjoyed my time in Melbourne and studying at Deakin.

Despite the struggles that I experienced upon moving here, I still enjoyed my time in Melbourne and studying at Deakin.

As time passed by, I managed to find a part-time job, make new friends, get involved with some student organisations, travel to new places, do some volunteering, participate in student mentoring, and much more.

With my friends from the Peer Mentoring program

After two years of studying and living here in Melbourne, this will be my last trimester at Deakin. I will be graduating in December, and I plan to continue doing what I love and to be the best that I can be. My journey living in Melbourne and studying at Deakin helped me grow as a person and this is something that I would not trade for anything else.

For further information about studying at Deakin and to view the many degrees on offer, visit our international student page

Navigator-enquiry banner-12-11-15