Study in Australia? Why not!

When I tell people that I am an international student from Sweden, a country that offers 100% free university education, I am mostly asked “What are you doing all the way down under?” My answer is always the same; “Why not?”

My mother used to say that I was born in the wrong country as I have always been looking for a reason to move permanently abroad. It did take me 21 years, but from the first second I touched down in Melbourne back in 2013, I knew I had found my future home!

So what could be better than conducting my university studies in the city that has been named the most liveable city in the world? After a lot of researching, I decided that I wanted to be a part of the Deakin family. And now, after completing my first year of a Bachelor of Food and Nutrition Sciences, I can happily tell you that it was the best decision I have ever made!

Maria at Wilsons Promontory National Park

Having been on a gap year for almost three years since I finished high school, I experienced a huge mix of emotions when my first semester was about to start. Thankfully, the Deakin University Student Association (DUSA) was there to help, organizing a three-day camp to the Australian outback. The camp was incredible, providing an excellent opportunity for students to bond. Over the three days, I made lifelong friends. DUSA is an amazing organisation and they make sure to maintain a good atmosphere on campus even with lectures and exams coming up. Did I mention they arrange on-campus petting zoos as a stressbuster?

At Deakin, I’ve also had the chance to discover new things, like playing netball. I had never heard of such a sport but turns out, netball might actually be my calling!

Maria poses with a koala along the Great Ocean Road

Besides falling in love with Melbourne, I fell in love with AFL – Australia’s biggest sport – and I also managed to get a job at the Melbourne Cricket Ground, the tenth largest sports stadium in the world, where I get to attend many games.

Surrounded by incredible scenery, nature and wildlife, the city of Melbourne is a beautiful place to live. When I’m not working or studying, I love visiting the outback for a day or two to hike and cuddle kangaroos.

Maria enjoys the sun at Wilsons

Maria enjoys the sun at Wilsons Promontory National Park

So why shouldn’t anyone who has the chance to study in Australia take it? My determination brought me to a world-class university in the most liveable city in the world. Just imagine all the things you can do! Yes, it is scary to move half way across the world… but at Deakin, you are never alone!

For further information about studying at Deakin and to view the many degrees on offer, visit our international student page. Or ask us a question by visiting our international student enquiry page – we’re happy to help you get to know Deakin better.

Navigator-enquiry banner-12-11-15