Living the true Deakin experience on ‘res’

‘Congratulations! Deakin University is pleased to offer you a place in the following program.’

This email has confirmed my credits for prior learning in Australia after having completed two semesters in a Bachelor of Teaching English as a Second Language (TESL) (Hons) at HELP University, Malaysia. I can still vividly remember the excitement when I received the confirmation to continue my studies as a Master of Teaching (Secondary) / Bachelor of Arts student in Melbourne.

It was indeed intimidating when I had to leave home, family members and friends behind to pursue my studies in a brand new place where initiatives were needed to make new friends as well as to adapt myself to a place with ‘four seasons in a day’. Crying was unavoidable on the day of my departure but I knew I had to leave for a better future.

Ivan at Deakin’s Melbourne Burwood Campus where he lives and studies

I was brought to Deakin Residences after being picked up from the airport by Deakin staff. The staff at Deakin Residences welcomed me with open arms and living on Res is indeed exciting and fun. I met new people from all over the world and we became friends. I am staying with three local Australians and they are really cheerful and friendly. Deakin Res always organises activities for us, such as movie nights, formal dinners, unit functions, unit sports and frequent free food. Undoubtedly, living on Deakin Res is such an incredible experience for me.

Ivan at Deakin's Orientation Week where he was welcomed to the University

Ivan at Deakin’s Orientation Week

Deakin is an amazing university with modern architecture, and it is fully equipped with good cafes for breakfasts and lunches, a big library and enormous lecture theatres. Deakin is always lively and happening with continuous activities for all students, especially during Orientation Week which includes the finger-licking good free food provided by Deakin University Student Association (DUSA). Also, I met new friends from different countries through the clubs that I have joined and joining the Malaysian Society of Deakin University (MSDU) has enabled me to meet friends from my own country. They made my journey at Deakin so much more like home! The recent Grand Malaysian Ball 2015 in Peninsula, Docklands was indeed a great and memorable night for me as I was able to meet people from my own country studying in different universities in Melbourne.

Ivan with friends at the

Ivan with friends at the Grand Malaysia Ball earlier this year

I am extremely happy and grateful for all the opportunities given by Deakin University. My life at Deakin has been nothing but wonderful! Proud to be a part of Deakin!

For further information about studying at Deakin and to view the many degrees on offer, visit our international student page. Or ask us a question by visiting our international student enquiry page – we’re happy to help you get to know Deakin better.

Navigator-enquiry banner-12-11-15