Deakin worked to support me while I worked to support my country

Working in the health sector for over 10 years, I know that the health and wellbeing of the general population is an issue the government of my country is focusing their attention on for improvement. Papua New Guinea is no different to other developing countries where there are increasing rates of malaria, AIDS and other preventable disease. I feel that I need to contribute to the prevention of communicable disease in Papua New Guinea.

By studying a Bachelor of Public Health and Health Promotion, it was my aim to develop knowledge and skills that I can contribute to improving health in my country. Skills such as working in partnership with appropriate and responsible stakeholders, critical thinking, and teamwork are essential for improvement. Deakin has provided me with the skills and knowledge I needed.

I was very thankful and privileged to be one among thousands of Australia Award scholarship awardees. Being a mature-aged student with a young family and having worked in the health field for more than 10 years, is not easy to settle into a university in a foreign country. The teaching staff at Deakin helped me to settle into my studies. With the help of support services at the University, I have completed my degree in Public Health and Health Promotion.

I will treasure every opportunity and experience that I have had over the past three years at Deakin University. The experiences were amazing! The University provides a lot of activities and free services to students. I have felt part of the ‘big family’ at Deakin. To name a few of the opportunities I had when I was at Deakin University: I was selected to attend the Thriving Neighbourhoods Conference in 2012 and I was invited to be the guest speaker, representing international students on challenges faced by international students, away from home, when studying in Australia.

Annette participating in a Deakin challenge with friends

To me, Deakin University is one of the best universities in Australia. It surpassed all expectations. The University has a great support infrastructure with highly skilled, friendly staff to equip international students in every way.

The University allows students to feel completely supported, they do not feel as though they are trying to cope on their own. Additional free support on topics like time management, financial support, study support, etc. are also offered.

I would recommend Deakin University to any students who are ambitious and want to complete a course which will allow them to strive for their dream career. But I would also recommend leaning on the support provided, don’t battle on your own.

For further information about studying at Deakin and to view the many degrees on offer, visit our international student page. Or ask us a question by visiting our international student enquiry page – we’re happy to help you get to know Deakin better.

Navigator-enquiry banner-12-11-15