Moving from Colombia to join my Deakin family

80 percent - Navigator banner-enquiry form link-v4[1]When I moved out from my home country my idea was to study English and go back to finish my degree. I always believed that a university career in another language would be impossible or extremely hard.

During my stay in Australia, I was unconsciously getting in love with this place – but… who doesn’t? There’s the cultural diversity, the kind and friendly people, the hospitality, the lifestyle, and many other things that you can explore and you can learn.

Anyway, although Australia offered me great things, I was not sure about what I should do with my life because I was struggling with my own decisions. I was homesick, my English level was still not quite good, and I wanted to finish my studies.

I did not know much about Deakin; just that the course that I was interested in was offered by them (because I checked on the website). I clearly remember it was a Sunday in August 2014 when I visited Deakin University for first time. I have to say that it was a strange, mixed feeling – like nervousness and uncertainty. There was an Open Day on campus at that time and I didn’t know anyone. I was looking at people around me, and unexpectedly I started to feel a really good energy around me!! Suddenly I said to myself, ‘Oh my god!!
I love this!!’ I could feel the good vibe around.

Felipe at Deakin's Open Day

Felipe at Deakin’s 2015 Open Day

I was walking around the stands looking for some information, when I saw the international student booth. I went to them with many questions in my mind, wanting to find some answers. In fact, I was so lucky because I met a student from the Deakin University English Language Institute (DUELI) leadership program. The student explained to me everything about DUELI, about the experience at university, and introduced me to the Faculty of Business and Law. At the end I was extremely happy and super excited about having met such wonderful people at university.

From that day I have not had any doubts. I made one of the best decisions in my life, and that was to start my new university career in Australia. I knew this would be a process but I had decided do my best and also knew it will be a new challenge for me. I love challenges anyway!!

My first step was to join DUELI, where I did English for Academic Purposes. DUELI was also where I had an amazing time, met wonderful friends from all around the world, and I learnt a lot – pretty much what I was expecting. I really had a good time at DUELI.

Felipe with other DUELI leaders

Felipe with other DUELI leaders

After I finished my English courses, I became a group member in the DUELI Leadership Program, and nowadays I am one of the coordinators for this program. Actually, when people ask me, ‘What is DUELI?’ I say, ‘It is a family!!’

At the present moment, I am doing my Bachelor of Property and Real Estate at Deakin. I love my career path! I am happy to have made this decision. Sometimes we feel fear or doubts about our lives, but when we take risks and when do our best with passion we can get whatever we want.

For further information about studying at Deakin and to view the many degrees on offer, visit our international student page. Or ask us a question by visiting our international student enquiry page – we’re happy to help you get to know Deakin better.