Late night pancakes and Taylor Swift with the IT Girls

Photo of Ruvidunu

Having completed the first year of my bachelor’s degree back in Sri Lanka, joining Deakin as a second-year student was an intimidating feat. The thought of making friends when everyone else had already met each other in first year was daunting. However, after the first few weeks, it became clear that I had nothing to worry about. I have met so many amazing people from all over the world and managed to make some really close friends.

One of my favourite things about Deakin is how there’s always some kind of hustle and bustle happening at Deakin Central. It is always lively, and there’s bound to be music playing. There are food stalls on Mutant Way (the main walkway through Deakin’s Melbourne Burwood Campus) almost every week. The Deakin University Student Association (DUSA) gives away free food quite frequently, and who doesn’t love free food?

Hanging out at Deakin Open Day

Hanging out at Deakin Open Day

The 50% Series, lunchtime presentations about gender-based topics organised by the Equity and Diversity team at Deakin, is truly impressive. I think it is important that such major issues in society are addressed and discussed in a university environment. I have really enjoyed attending these presentations.

The Deakin IT Girls’ Group is an amazing initiative that helps bring together girls who’re doing IT courses. As there aren’t too many of us, it’s nice to meet people who really understand what it’s like being a girl doing IT. I was also fortunate to have attended the IBM ‘Women in IT’ Boot Camp, which was such a remarkable experience.

Living on Deakin Res is such a wonderful experience. There are so many events happening here that it’s almost impossible to feel homesick. The Res Formal Dinner was truly incredible. Dressing up and hitting the dance floor with my friends; it was a night I’ll never forget! There are also smaller informal gatherings such as unit functions for each level, free food down in the reccy, Harry Potter movie nights, and pool competitions happening on Res. I also recently had the opportunity to volunteer on Res for Open Day! Another perk of living on Res is how The Diner is right next to our building. It’s really great when you get to relax after a long day of uni with good friends and some of the best waffles I’ve had the pleasure to try out! The best part about living in a building always full of people is that you’re guaranteed to make friends. I’ve met some of my closest friends here, and it’s always nice to be able to knock on someone’s door any time in the day, maybe make some late night pancakes and dance around to Taylor Swift!

At a residential formal dinner

At a res formal dinner

Since I did my first year at Royal Institute of Colombo (RIC), a partner of Deakin’s Faculty of Science, Engineering and Built Environment, I was lucky enough to be granted the inaugural Vice-Chancellor’s 50% scholarship. I am extremely grateful to Deakin for this amazing opportunity!

My Deakin experience has been simply marvellous. It’s been an astounding ride so far and I can’t wait to see what the future holds!