Moving abroad to master marketing

In November of 2013 I received an email from the Australian Awards telling me I was selected to receive a fully paid scholarship at Deakin University. I was quite ecstatic that I was selected among hundreds who applied for this prestigious scholarship.

80 percent - Navigator banner-enquiry form link-v4[1]

For the last few years I had been working in marketing departments for different companies. Although I had some lectures on marketing and therefore, in a broad sense, knew what marketing was about, I always felt that there was so much more to be learned in marketing. I knew that if I wanted to be successful in this field of business I had to invest more time into learning more about marketing. As back home there was no master’s course offered to study marketing, I started looking online for opportunities outside of my country. I applied for many different scholarships including the Australian Awards scholarship.

When applying for the Australian Awards scholarship I had the possibility to choose from any Australian university to study at. I chose Deakin University due to its high university rankings, its practically oriented education style and the fact that it was situated in the world’s most liveable city, Melbourne.

Arriving at Deakin University and studying here as an international student, I have realised that the University stands for so much more. When arriving I was welcomed by an extremely friendly international student adviser who had arranged a meeting to get me started and settled in Australia. As I just came from the other side of the world, this one-on-one talk really helped me get on track so I could be mentally ready when university starts.

Rogier at Deakin's Melbourne Burwood campus where he studies.

Rogier at Deakin’s Melbourne Burwood campus where he studies.

The University truly lived up to its ‘Worldy’ motto as my classmates and now friends came from all over the world: Europe, USA, Africa and Asia. Furthermore the lecturers came with worldly experiences that did not only focus their lectures on Australia but used examples from different parts of the world to make it easier for everyone to understand.

Now that I am in my last trimester I take a lot of knowledge with me not only in marketing but also in leadership, finance and international relations. As privileged as I was to study in Australia, it has made me think about all the other people in the world who at this point never would think of higher education, and do not even have access to basic education. I believe that everybody should get the chance to educate themselves, invest in something they want to learn more about and have talent for. This has really changed my perception of things and what I want to do in the future. For this reason I have applied for a young professionals program at UNESCO [the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization], and if I get selected, I will start in early 2016. I chose UNESCO as it is a division of the UN that has made it a global commitment to bring quality education worldwide to achieve world peace.

For further information about studying at Deakin and to view the many degrees on offer, visit our international student page. Or ask us a question by visiting our international student enquiry page – we’re happy to help you get to know Deakin better.