Learning from alumni in Malaysia

Twenty Deakin University students – most studying with Deakin’s Faculty of Business and Law – recently completed an intensive two-week team-based internship in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

On a very hot Friday evening, these students attended an alumni dinner. The current students enjoyed the opportunity to learn more about events in Deakin’s past but also about doing business in Malaysia.

One Deakin student said: ‘It was great to see that these past students wanted to remain a part of something that shaped their life. I had some interesting conversations!’

The event was an opportunity for current Deakin students to improve their networking skills by talking with past Deakin students.

‘The networking event was an interesting night,’ one student commented. ‘Personally I don’t feel that I made a good enough effort to work the room. As such, I ended up spending longer amounts of time with the same people. At the next networking event, I’ll be more conscious of how long I spend with each person and be more confident in my approach.’

Another student admitted that they had never had been to a ‘professional’ social event before, especially networking at one, which made the experience all the more valuable. ‘Going into the dinner, I was wondering what kind of people I would meet and how they could help me, and I could help them,’ the student said. ‘Being a shy person, having to force yourself to make small talk was quite difficult. It started off with lots of awkward silences, as well as some confusion from a language/accent barrier. But as the night went on and I got more comfortable, I began to come out of my shell and just spoke to people.’

Deakin Business and Law students in front of the Petronas Twin Towers in Kuala Lumpur

A group of current Deakin students was lucky enough to have an alumnus become their personal tour guide for a day. One of these students said: ‘The highlight of my night was meeting Kevin who was in audit. Unfortunately we both didn’t have the same interest in mind when it came to education, but when it came to what we like, we clicked on that. The outdoors!  Surprisingly, Kevin offered to drive us sight-seeing the following day!’

‘[On Saturday] we proceeded to Batu Caves,’ another student added. ‘The hike was exhausting and the fact it makes me notice how unfit I was. On the way up we dropped by the Dark Caves where the name says enough for itself. Learned that in this cave that way too many large insects and spiders are able to inhabitant this dark place. We then hiked up the rest of the way and saw the shrine up on top, and you can’t forget the monkeys in the area that was leeching off food of everyone. Afterwards Kevin took us to this fish farm which was on the water, which was located in Selangor. Food was great and the fact it was on a river was an experience.’

Deakin Business and Law students in front of the Golden Statue Of Lord Muragan Outside The Batu Caves

Deakin Business and Law students in front of the Golden Statue of Lord Muragan outside the Batu Caves

The opportunity for past and present Deakin students to liaise and share stories at this event was a valuable one. Each year the Faculty of Business and Law takes a group of students to Kuala Lumpur to participate in the Malaysia Group Internship, where students are placed in local businesses to work on a significant project.