Adapting to the Melbourne weather – four seasons in one day!

I remembered my first backpacking trip to Australia a few years back, venturing to a new country and the excitement that is exuding out of me. To some extent, I reckon, many people who walked past me on the street saw a starry-eye girl – they would have guessed I was a tourist and new to the country. Thinking back now, it is kind of funny. While I was on that trip, I visited Deakin University and managed to chat with the recruitment officer and did a campus tour.

Since then, I have fell in love with Deakin.

Coming to Deakin University is one of the best decisions I have ever made in the journey of pursuing a higher degree. Regardless of being a mature student and an international student, the first time away from home is understandably a challenging but stimulating task and mine has been a fun and wonderful learning curve, many thanks to those people I have met.

What sold me to Australia and to Deakin was the student dynamic and life on campus and the facilities that are able to enhance one’s learning experiences. There are many ample opportunities to be involved in activities and enrich one’s university life, such as DUSA Red Shirt, International Student Support group and Faculty Peer Mentoring Program etc.

Melbourne has all it clichés of having four seasons in one day and it is an absolute truth. From a tropical all year round summer in Singapore, it takes me quite a long while for me to accept the temperamental weather in Melbourne, and in fact I am still adapting to it. Despite that, it is not enough to dampen my enthusiasm. Furthermore, I left a really fast-paced Singapore society to a more relaxed Melbourne – it is another aspect to get used to. Melbourne has provided me a temporary respite and needed breathing space in my life and I truly enjoy it.

To me, Melbourne is a charming city. It possesses many cafés residing in those fascinating little alleys to have a good coffee as well as it offers awesome brunches to satisfy my caffeine and food satiety.   Other than that, Melbourne does have many celebratory festivals and art markets to explore in every few weeks, it is indeed one of the things you definitely have to immerse yourself in and enjoy it when you are here! If you feel homesick or alone, or you want to know more friends, one can always engage yourself in the Victorian government initiated organisation, the Australian Federation of International Students [AFIS] activities.

Though my journey in Australia is coming to a conclusion, I know for sure, I have gained a bountiful university life and memories with friends that I will never be able to forget about. I am honoured and proud to be a Deakin student. However, my education endeavour is not going to end here. I will continue to pursue my academic journey in near future.

For further information about studying at Deakin and to view the many degrees on offer, visit our international student page. Or ask us a question by visiting our international student enquiry page – we’re happy to help you get to know Deakin better.