Sanket’s Internship Experience

My name is Sanket R Jain, and I am currently pursuing my Masters of Information Technology (Professional) at Deakin University.

During my last trimester, I was able to secure an internship at the Box Hill South Neighbourhood House through the help of Deakin’s Jobshop team. To secure an internship, the procedure was very simple and straightforward. It consisted of submitting documents like my resume, cover letter and couple of supporting documents followed by interview with the Deakin Jobshop team and the organisation’s supervisor.

My internship position was Web and Social Media Strategy & Implementation Assistant, which required me to re-design the organisation’s existing website from a Joomla framework to a WordPress framework. In addition, I helped create an internet marketing strategy that includes search engine and social media optimisation, which would in turn increase their website ranking in search engines like Google, Yahoo, Bing, etc. and also increased their presence in social media.

withvc

Sanket was recognised for his internship achievements at the Deakin Internship Scheme for International Students Award Ceremony. Sanket pictured here (right) with Pamela Mills, Deakin Vice-Chancellor, Professor Jane den Hollander and Jason Ong.

­

My internship team included myself, Jason Ong (also a Deakin intern) and Mrs Pamela Mills (organisation supervisor). My major task list consisted of redesigning the existing website along with creating an Internet strategy, whereas Jason was looking after newsletter design and managing social media presence. Pamela was supervising the project by providing requirements, resources and, most importantly, by helping us to accomplish our tasks. One of the most important thing that this internship has provided me was the chance to explore my skills and also provided me with an opportunity to grab new skills, for which I am very thankful to my team members and the Deakin Jobshop team.

Working with Pamela was very comfortable, as she was quite helpful and her supportive nature and experience has taught me various things like team management, a professional way of communicating and how to think critically and solve any problems that came up during the course of internship. Also working with Jason was really fun, as his ideas were very unique and really helped in achieving our internship goals.

But perhaps the most important thing was that the internship was constant learning experience and also gave me the chance to work with team that was very culturally diverse.

My internship journey video:

[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJINN-__KYY&w=560&h=315]

I was able to create a video with the help of team members and Deakin Jobshop team that portrays my Internship journey. My video even won a student competition called “V Blog”.

You can learn more about Sanket by visiting his blog.

For further information about studying at Deakin and to view the many degrees on offer, visit our international student page