Deakin has particular interest in genre and its readers, with expertise in the following:
- Fantasy and Race
- Magical realism
- Science Fiction
Current Projects include:
- Romance fiction in the Philippines (Jodi McAlister with Claire Parnell from UniMelb and Andrea Anne Trinidad from Ateneo de Manila)
- Dating apps and narratives of romance in the time of COVID-19 (Jodi McAlister with Lisa Portolan from UWS)
- History of Australian romance fiction (Jodi McAlister with Hsu-Ming Teo from Macquarie)
- Harlequin Mills & Boon and the publishing history category romance fiction (Jodi McAlister with Lisa Fletcher from UTAS)
- Jodi McAlister, The Consummate Virgin. Palgrave.
Organisations and Journals:
- Tales After Tolkien Society (President, Helen Young), Journal of Tolkien Research, Bloomsbury Medieval Studies, The Australian Romance Readers Association
Reading group, primarily of HDRs and Sean Redmond, Ann Vickery, and Helen Young: Reading the Fantastique.