Skype for Business (Lync) is a communication and collaboration tool that lets you use your computer or mobile device to instant message, video-chat, schedule online video meetings/webinars, share screen and content with colleagues and students.
Skype is the free consumer (public) product used by individuals and small businesses to communicate and collaborate online.
- Skype is available for free download
- You create your own Skype account
- You can communicate with any other Skype user worldwide
- You can email, instant-message, video-chat, present and share screen via video.
- Skype is recommended for personal (non-work) use
Lync was rebranded as Skype for Business in mid-2015. Staff and Students now have access to two very-similar applications for communication and collaboration.
- Skype for Business is installed as part of Microsoft Office under our Deakin licence
- You sign in with your Deakin account (email and password)
- You can communicate with any other Skype for Business (or Lync) user, including Deakin staff and students and users from other organisations and universities worldwide
- You can email, instant-message, video-chat, schedule online video meetings, present and share screen via video, and share content.
- Skype for Business is fully integrated with Outlook, Microsoft Office and SharePoint.
- Skype for Business has enterprise grade security
- Skype for Business is recommended for work use
- Skype has a large user base. People are familiar with it.
- Skype for Business is pre-installed on all Deakin computers.
- Skype for Business does not rely on Java.
- Desktop and PPT Sharing / Poll / Q&A / Whiteboard / Camera feed / Manage attendees / record meetings.
- Support on multiple platforms (Windows / Mac / iOS / Android / Web App)
- Still in development, more functionality to come.
- No CloudDeakin Integration.
- Mac has limited functionality, e.g users cannot schedule or record an online meeting.
How do I get started with Skype for Business?
Where can I download Skype for Business (Lync)?
Showcase in LB2.101 AMX Panel and Presentation PC
Join a meeting via Skype for Business Web App
Schedule a Skype for Business meeting Instruction (Windows)
Tips for your Online Session