If you’re attending a Deakin campus and you feel unsafe for any reason, you can use the SafeZone app to immediately access Deakin Security services. You can also call them directly on 1800 062 579. They can escort you to your car at night and help you if you see something that makes you uncomfortable.
But we also want you to be safe when you’re at home or out and about.
Staying safe in the community
Victoria is generally a safe place but unfortunately some people may face discrimination and harassment. Adopting practical safety strategies should reduce the risks and help you to respond effectively if you ever feel unsafe.
Here are some simple safety tips:
- Call Victoria Police on Triple Zero (000) if you ever feel unsafe.
- Follow Victoria Police’s safety advice, which includes information on staying safe on public transport, while drinking, in the outdoors and on the road.
- Be aware of your surroundings when you’re in public. Try to avoid becoming isolated – stay in well-lit, populated areas.
- Leave valuable items at home, not in your car or your bag.
Staying safe online
It’s important to educate yourself about cybersafety and take some steps to improve your online security. Check out the Toolkit for Universities, which is a collaboration between the eSafety Commissioner and Universities Australia. The toolkit includes tips for building your confidence while navigating the online world, managing your time online and how to take action if you or someone you know experiences online abuse.
Preventing sexual harm
We’re committed to preventing and addressing sexual harm, which is a significant issue for all universities as well as the wider community.
Our Sexual Harm Prevention Program aims to build a strong culture of safety, mutual respect and inclusion to ensure all members of our community can study and work in a safe and supportive environment. We have established policies and procedures that aim to prevent sexual harm, assault, violence and discrimination.
Safer Community is Deakin’s central point of contact for reports and disclosures of sexual harm and family violence.
- To access support for sexual harm, contact us online, call 03 9244 3734 (9am – 4pm, Monday to Friday) or email [email protected].
- To access support for family violence or problem behaviour, contact us online, call 03 9244 3734 (9am – 4pm, Monday to Friday) or email [email protected].
If you require immediate response or after-hours assistance on campus, call Deakin Security on 1800 062 579. For emergencies off campus, call Triple Zero (000).