Deakin Logo

Meet the Team: Rebecca, Reception Officer at Waurn Ponds

• Blog
  • 2 min read
  • Posted July 2021

Bec Kerger, Reception Officer
Bec Kerger, Reception Officer

Every team member at Deakin Res has an important role to play in helping our residents to feel welcome, safe and supported. Over the course of the year, we’ll be introducing members of our Deakin Res team, highlighting their roles and responsibilities, the journey they’ve taken to working at Deakin and sharing some of their experiences and anecdotes.  

This week we’d love you to meet Rebecca Kerger, Reception Officer at the Geelong Waurn Ponds campus.   

Can tell us a little bit more about your role and responsibilities? 

I work 7am – 3pm Monday to Wednesday at the Waurn Ponds residences as a Reception Officer. I’ve been in this position for the past eight year. As part of this role I perform a range of reception and administrative tasks associated with the overall operation of the Geelong residences. This includes providing customer service, responding to enquiries (from staff or residents). I also assist in any administration and promotional matters associated with our casual accommodation offering.  

What led you to working at Deakin and in student accommodation? 

I started working at Deakin nineteen years ago as a casual which then led to a permanent position. I’ve worked in various areas at Deakin over the years. Once I had my two children I was only wanting part time work which is when the position at Deakin Res became available. With  a background in travel and hospitality – it’s been the perfect fit!   

Can you describe a typical day? 

Like other staff have noted, no two days are the same at residences which is one of the best parts of the role.

Not knowing what you are going to be faced with from day to day is all part of the fun and  what makes the role so enjoyable. 
Rebecca, Reception Officer

How has your role changed as part of COVID? 

Working throughout the lockdowns during COVID last year (in the state of Victoria) was extremely challenging for staff and students. Wearing a mask for 10 months also came with it challenges, particularly in relation to communicating both face to face and over the phone. 

One positive was that I was able to get to know our residents on a much more personable level. At times, we were the only person they would see for the entire day or even week, and being able to have a chat and have a laugh was definitely a positive to help us all get through the day.
Rebecca, Reception Officer

Obviously we’ve had to change the way we do things in terms of events and gatherings due to social distancing but having a mix of both virtual and face to face events has been really effective in connecting and engaging students.    

What is your favourite part of working for DRS? 

Working with and getting to know our residents is my favourite part. I really enjoy watching student's growth over the year! 

Written by

Profile photo of author Laura Burge
Laura Burge Student Experience and Engagement Manager

Laura is widely regarded as an industry expert in the theory, planning, and delivery of exceptional student experiences, having honed her skills over the course of a career spanning two decades and multiple higher education institutions.

Deakin Residential Services

Our purpose is to sustainably deliver an innovative and outstanding student accommodation experience.

Sign up to our newsletter

We acknowledge the Traditional Custodians of the unceded lands and waterways on which Deakin University does business. We pay our deep respect to the Ancestors and Elders of Wadawurrung Country, Eastern Maar Country and Wurundjeri Country where our physical campuses are located. We also acknowledge all First Nations Peoples that make contributions to our learning communities.

© Copyright Deakin University 2023. Deakin University CRICOS Provider Code: 00113B.