Deakin Logo

Meet Deakin Res Alumni Riley

• Blog
  • 3 min read
  • Posted July 2021

Riley Wilson lived at our Waterfront residences from 2019 – 2020, moving away from home to study a Bachelor of International Studies at Deakin. He completed his high school studies at St Mary of the Angels Secondary College in Nathalia, north of Shepparton.  

In addition to his studies, Riley also works part-time as a receptionist at a Real Estate whilst also undertaking the role of a Deakin Student Ambassador. As part of this position, Riley provides tours and presentations to visiting prospective students. He notes that it’s a great role, with lots of diversity, and that one of his greatest achievements thus far has been taking on additional responsibilities in leading tours and guiding his fellow ambassadors in their support roles. 

Having lived in residence for two years, Riley highlights that his experiences on campus were not only of great benefit to his Ambassador role, but have also more broadly enhanced his personal and professional development. “My first year [on res] really helped me to get out of my shell and engage in university life.”  

Taking on the role of a volunteer Residential Leader (RL) in his second year was also a highlight for Riley. “I applied to be a RL in order to give back to the community that had helped me to thrive during my first year. In undertaking the role I learned how to approach different issues and situations. These experiences have enhanced my ability to connect and empathize with others, and to organize and run events and programs.”  

He notes that his years living at Waterfront has also led to him forming a strong network of friends, many of whom he remains in touch with to this day. “I’ve definitely gained amazing friendships that I’ll never lose. I still have regular contact with people I met in my first year, now living offsite with two such former residents and regularly catching up with others. They were and continue to be my closest friends at University.”  

His advice to current residents or those considering the opportunity to live on campus in the future?  

Do absolutely everything you can. Ten Pin Bowling Night? Do it! First aid course? Do it! LGBTI+ awareness day? Do it! Free food and music? Do it! Everything will help you to grow, not only in your personal life but also by providing you with the skills to thrive in university and the workforce.
Riley Wilson, Waterfront Resident

Written by

Profile photo of author Laura Burge
Laura Burge Student Experience and Engagement Manager

Laura is widely regarded as an industry expert in the theory, planning, and delivery of exceptional student experiences, having honed her skills over the course of a career spanning two decades and multiple higher education institutions.

Deakin Residential Services

Our purpose is to sustainably deliver an innovative and outstanding student accommodation experience.

Sign up to our newsletter

We acknowledge the Traditional Custodians of the unceded lands and waterways on which Deakin University does business. We pay our deep respect to the Ancestors and Elders of Wadawurrung Country, Eastern Maar Country and Wurundjeri Country where our physical campuses are located. We also acknowledge all First Nations Peoples that make contributions to our learning communities.

© Copyright Deakin University 2023. Deakin University CRICOS Provider Code: 00113B.