Deakin Logo

• Blog

blog-ramneet-2478 x 1396
blog-ramneet-2478 x 1396

In her third year or studying a Bachelor of Vision Science/Mater of Optometry, Ramneet is one of the recipients of our Residential Experience Grants, providing a $1000 rental subsidy towards accommodation costs in 2021. For Ramneet, this grant provides welcome financial relief and an opportunity to focus on her studies in her final year.

Ramneet had known for a long time that optometry was her calling. “When I was in Year 10, I decided to undertake work experience in an optometry practice, and I really loved the work environment. As someone who has worn glasses from a young age, the idea of enhancing others vision and helping them to see better helped me to decide that optometry was a great career choice.”

Electing to study at Deakin, Ramneet notes that when she first came to see the campus on Open Day that she “…really liked the environment and decided this was the place to spend my university years.” Having completed her high school studies at Notre Dame College in Shepparton, Ramneet knew that moving to Geelong would be a necessity and felt that her best option was to live on-campus. It helped that Ramneet had only heard positive things about residential life at Deakin.

When I talked to other people, I had heard that they had experienced a great time living on campus, and I thought that res would be the perfect place for me.
Ramneet, Waurn Ponds Resident

Fast forward three years, and Ramneet is more than happy to still be living on campus at Deakin Res. “I’ve really enjoyed being able to meet lots of new people. I was originally scared about how to make new friends, however living on campus has made it easy to communicate with everyone and I’ve especially found res events to be a good opportunity to connect whilst having a great time.” She has particularly enjoyed the Res Sports program which she notes has helped her to stay active and maintain a positive mindset as part of her busy academic schedule.

In addition to the residential experience, Ramneet highlights that she has also appreciated the hi-speed Wi-Fi, which has made it convenient for her to study anywhere on campus. “Knowing that there are always security guards patrolling and the reception is open 24/7, has also made me feel very safe.”  

Her advice her to others considering relocating for their studies is to seize the chance to live on campus, even if initially just for one year.

The environment is great and you get so many opportunities to make amazing friends and try out new things. It’s also a great way to start university especially if you are moving far from home, as living on res has given me the feeling of my second home.
Ramneet, Waurn Ponds Resident

Now nearing the end of her studies, Ramneet has a very promising future! Following her graduation, she hopes to be able to return to Shepparton to work as an optometrist, with a long-term goal of eventually opening her own optometry business in a regional area.  

Deakin Residential Services

Our purpose is to sustainably deliver an innovative and outstanding student accommodation experience.

Sign up to our newsletter

We acknowledge the Traditional Custodians of the unceded lands and waterways on which Deakin University does business. We pay our deep respect to the Ancestors and Elders of Wadawurrung Country, Eastern Maar Country and Wurundjeri Country where our physical campuses are located. We also acknowledge all First Nations Peoples that make contributions to our learning communities.

© Copyright Deakin University 2023. Deakin University CRICOS Provider Code: 00113B.