Deakin Logo

How one resident’s experience led her to raise funds for the Royal Children’s Hospital

• Blog
  • 3 min read
  • Posted June 2021

Kyra, Waurn Ponds Resident fundraising efforts

Volunteer Residential Leader, Kyra Byrne, lives at our Geelong Waurn Ponds campus. In May this year (pre-lockdown), Kyra coordinated a highly successful fundraiser for the Melbourne Royal Children’s Hospital, and with the support of her fellow residents, raised over $1300 for the foundation.  

Originally from Heathcote in central Victoria, Kyra is studying a double degree in Criminology and Psychology. Her passion for supporting the Royal Children’s stemmed from her own experiences as a patient from the time she was 6 weeks old until the age of 18.  

I’ve had multiple surgeries, hospital stays, specialist appointments and much more over my lifetime. Without the Royal Children’s, and the support I received, I wouldn’t be the person I am today.
Kyra Byrne, Residential Leader

“For me the Royal Children’s was like a second home as I was there so often and supported in so many ways. Importantly, I was able to continue my high school education through teachers at the hospital, mingle with those my own age, and to have fun despite my length stays.”   

As part of the fundraiser, Kyra coordinated a residential event featuring a raffle offering some incredible prizes, a bake sale and sausage sizzle.  

“So many residents turned up to support this great cause. I’ve dreamed about giving back to the Royal Children’s since I was in high school but was never given the opportunity or means to do so before becoming a Res Leader. The Deakin Res team supported my fundraising idea and helped me to organize the event. The other Res Leaders also helped by setting up, running and promoting the event and by donating items for the raffle, and I wouldn’t have been able to do it without them.”  

The whole residential community were also a great support, attending the function, donating to the cause, and we even had residents baking goods for the bake sale. A couple even donated their time to sing or DJ.
Kyra Byrne, Residential Leader

Aside from raising funds to donate, Kyra also notes how important it was for her to also raise awareness of the amazing work of the Royal Children’s Hospital.   

“As part of the event I shared my experiences as a former patient to highlight how any money raised can be used to fund research, new technology and equipment and in improving patient care.” 

Overall, Kyra’s event was a massive success, raising a grand total of $1321.50, well over her initial target of $300. 

Written by

Profile photo of author Laura Burge
Laura Burge Student Experience and Engagement Manager

Laura is widely regarded as an industry expert in the theory, planning, and delivery of exceptional student experiences, having honed her skills over the course of a career spanning two decades and multiple higher education institutions.

Deakin Residential Services

Our purpose is to sustainably deliver an innovative and outstanding student accommodation experience.

Sign up to our newsletter

We acknowledge the Traditional Custodians of the unceded lands and waterways on which Deakin University does business. We pay our deep respect to the Ancestors and Elders of Wadawurrung Country, Eastern Maar Country and Wurundjeri Country where our physical campuses are located. We also acknowledge all First Nations Peoples that make contributions to our learning communities.

© Copyright Deakin University 2023. Deakin University CRICOS Provider Code: 00113B.