Deakin Logo

Residents Reflect on Campus Life in 2020

• Blog
  • 4 min read
  • Posted January 2021

It’s hard to believe it’s already the start of a new year, and yet here were all are, preparing to welcome several hundred new students to Deakin Res in 2021. It’s a daunting time, mid-way between the release of ATARs and course-offers, and we know that you’ve got a lot on your mind and perhaps a lot of nerves and questions about what’s ahead. 

To alleviate some of those fears, we spoke to three of our 2020 residents about their reasons for choosing to live on residence, what they enjoyed most about their experiences and what advice they had for students arriving over coming months. 

Maddie Ledwidge lived at our Geelong Waurn Ponds Campus and is completing a Bachelor of Environmental Science and Marine Biology. 

Hannah Hunter lived at our Warrnambool Campus is also studying Marine Biology. Finally, 

Rory Quinn lived at our Geelong Waurn Ponds campus is studying Health and Physical Education.  

Why did you choose to live on campus at Deakin? 

Maddie opted to lived on res because she wanted to meet new people and for the convenience. “The 24-7 support and security also made me feel really safe and it was great knowing I could ask a question at any time.”  

It was Hannah’s first time living away from home so she wanted to be able to connect with people and live in a safe but independent environment. “I explored lots of other options – living in the city and in a flat, but I didn’t know anyone and Res was actually a cheaper option.” 

What do you love about living on campus? 

Hannah notes that proximity to campus and convenience is a huge bonus. “…I really enjoy the fact that I have ample study and social spaces on campus. I also love living in Warrnambool because as a smaller coastal town I feel like I can connect with the community, participate in events and activities, volunteer and easily meet new people.”  

Maddie agrees, “…I love that I live close to the ocean (in Geelong) and I’ve made so many amazing friendships I will cherish forever.”  

What support is provided to students who live at Deakin Res? 

At Deakin Res staff and Residential Leaders (RLs) are on hand to provide support, ease student transition to life away from home and assist in organising events. Maddie loved that her RL kept her informed of the different events, showed her around the res precinct and wider campus and answered questions throughout the year. 

My RL had a major impact on my first year experience, and it’s why I applied to take on the role in 2021.
Maddie Ledwidge, Waurn Ponds Resident

Hannah notes that she didn’t know anyone before moving to Deakin. “…I initially felt quite scared and lonely, but within days I made so many new friends and connections. Everyone welcomed me with open arms and we really bonded over shared experiences. Deakin Res, University staff and RLs are also always available and really do want the best for you throughout your time on res.” 

Rory appreciated the information provided to students prior to arrival – in particular the online residential induction program and communication from his campus. Information provided “…made it easy for me to understand what Deakin Res expected from me (rules regarding behaviour, RESPECT Values, events and activities etc) but also clarified what I expected from Res. Staff on check-in were also really welcoming. It was nerve-wracking, but the more I spoke to people (RLs, staff etc.) the more comfortable I felt.”  

How did you meet people and make friends? 

Attending Residential Orientation is a great way to meet new people and find your way around res and your wider campus. Rory notes that it really is a not-to-be-missed event, highlighting that it’s also a great place to “…meet new people and start to develop friendships early on. Whilst there were times that I did miss home, I kept in contact with my family and getting to know my new roommates helped.”  

What advice would you provide to new students considering whether to live on campus? 

“Just do it!” says Maddie, “…it’s an amazing experience and is great for boosting your confidence and independence.”  Hannah also agrees, 

…go for it and don’t look back – it’s the best thing I did. It can be scary, but everyone is here to support you, and we’re all on the same journey.
Hannah Hunter, Warrnambool Resident

Written by

Profile photo of author Laura Burge
Laura Burge Student Experience and Engagement Manager

Laura is widely regarded as an industry expert in the theory, planning, and delivery of exceptional student experiences, having honed her skills over the course of a career spanning two decades and multiple higher education institutions.

Deakin Residential Services

Our purpose is to sustainably deliver an innovative and outstanding student accommodation experience.

Sign up to our newsletter

We acknowledge the Traditional Custodians of the unceded lands and waterways on which Deakin University does business. We pay our deep respect to the Ancestors and Elders of Wadawurrung Country, Eastern Maar Country and Wurundjeri Country where our physical campuses are located. We also acknowledge all First Nations Peoples that make contributions to our learning communities.

© Copyright Deakin University 2023. Deakin University CRICOS Provider Code: 00113B.