Deakin Logo

What’s so great about living on Res? Kyra, one of the stars of our RESPECT video, shares her story

• Blog
  • 4 min read
  • Posted October 2020

Geelong Campus Life team members holding letters that spell out R-E-S-P-E-C-T.

At Deakin Res, residents and staff share the responsibility of building and maintaining a healthy and happy community, and all experiences are guided by our RESPECT values. Check out our new video that explains what Res means to those who live there, and meet Kyra, a resident who tells us why she loves living on campus!

Hi Kyra! Tell us about yourself – your background and what you’re studying.

I’m Kyra and I’m studying a double-degree of criminology and psychology. I would describe myself as someone who is very bubbly and not afraid to speak up for the things I believe in.

Why did you decide to live on Res and how has the experience been?

I decided to live on Res because it was the most convenient situation for me as I don’t drive and living in a shared house would have made it more difficult for me to attend university. Deakin Res also really attracted me because it gave me the opportunity to have my own bathroom and kitchen, which I really liked because it offered me some privacy.

My experience on Res has been amazing, I’ve met so many great people and have enjoyed every second of it.

It doesn’t matter if I’m attending an event organised by Campus Life or just hanging in the lounge upstairs with my mates in my building, it has just been such an amazing experience.
Kyra Byrne, Waurn Ponds Resident

Why did you want to be in the RESPECT video?

When I was asked to be in the video I thought it would be an amazing opportunity for me to experience what it’s like to be in a studio filming situation. Being there with all the cameras set up and having a script to get my voice recorded was such a cool experience.

I also wanted to be involved in the video to show those considering living on Res in the future that the community at Deakin is made up of a diverse range of individuals. By showing myself in the video using my wheelchair, it could really empower someone else in a similar situation to mine. 

How does living on Res support ‘you being you’?

I use a wheelchair for walking more than short distances due to the fact that I have a chronic illness known as Ehlers Danlos Syndrome. This affects a lot of aspects of my life, but while living at Deakin Res the team has been so accommodating, which has allowed me to be me.

I am not left out due to my disability, which is such a major difference to some teams I have worked with in the past. For example, when I got a mobility scooter in order to get around the campus, the team installed a clip into the wall within my building so I was able to safely secure my scooter.

What do the RESPECT values mean to you?

To me, the RESPECT values help to create the positive environment that Deakin Res has. This environment is fun, caring and ensures no one is left out. It really helps to build that sense of community at Res, which is one of the things I love most about living here.

Written by

Profile photo of author Laura Burge
Laura Burge Student Experience and Engagement Manager

Laura is widely regarded as an industry expert in the theory, planning, and delivery of exceptional student experiences, having honed her skills over the course of a career spanning two decades and multiple higher education institutions.

Deakin Residential Services

Our purpose is to sustainably deliver an innovative and outstanding student accommodation experience.

Sign up to our newsletter

We acknowledge the Traditional Custodians of the unceded lands and waterways on which Deakin University does business. We pay our deep respect to the Ancestors and Elders of Wadawurrung Country, Eastern Maar Country and Wurundjeri Country where our physical campuses are located. We also acknowledge all First Nations Peoples that make contributions to our learning communities.

© Copyright Deakin University 2023. Deakin University CRICOS Provider Code: 00113B.