Deakin Logo

Meet our Residential Leader Ryan Montgomery

• Blog
  • 3 min read
  • Posted October 2020

Ryan has lived on residence at Waurn Ponds (Alfred Deakin College) since 2019, having completed his high school studies at St Patrick’s College, Ballarat. He is currently studying a Bachelor of Science. Ryan undertook the role of a Residential Leader this year, highlighting that running events, looking after the wellbeing of ressies and ensuring everyone is having a fun and safe time are his favourite parts of the role – even if 2020 has been impacted as a result of COVID-19. 

Ryan notes that 2019 was a pivotal year for him. “I developed myself as a person and got out of my comfort zone. My housemates became like a family and we are all still close. The events, the chill time, parties and studying while living on res made for the best uni experience I could have imagined. I would have seriously regretted not moving onto res if I had known how awesome it is.”  

Making lifelong friends in a supportive environment made my first year of uni the best ever.
Ryan Montgomery, Residential Leader

As for his thoughts on his experiences in 2020? “Becoming a Residential leader led me to push myself even further. I’ve developed my leadership skills, made an awesome group of friends, met all the other RLs, as well as gained valuable professional development through working with the Campus life team. I’ve also learnt to be more organised, communicate more effectively, particularly when speaking to larger groups of people.” He adds, “…the experience of my first year of res coupled with the training, support and years of experience from the Waurn Ponds Campus life team has allowed me to try and provide the best year possible for residents in 2020. While this was difficult this year due to circumstances around Coronavirus, not giving up and just making sure people are supported during a trying time was just as important as anything else.”  

Ryan’s advice to other residents or prospective students? “You definitely get out as much as you put in. Join a club or something you’re interested in, or if there isn’t one for the thing you’re into, then make one!”

You will be surrounded with opportunities to try new things on res and meet new people. The more opportunities you take, the better your time on res.
Ryan Montgomery, Residential Leader

Proximity to university is also a key benefit of the residential experience. “You can’t get any closer!  Living on res with easy access to all the university resources and classes a couple minutes’ walk away shouldn’t be wasted.” 

And for those worried about  not making friends or meeting new people? “Your housemates will be your new family while on res. Get to know all of them. Do things together and include everyone! People come from all different backgrounds and walks of life. You will learn so much from them and gain new perspectives. 

Written by

Profile photo of author Laura Burge
Laura Burge Student Experience and Engagement Manager

Laura is widely regarded as an industry expert in the theory, planning, and delivery of exceptional student experiences, having honed her skills over the course of a career spanning two decades and multiple higher education institutions.

Deakin Residential Services

Our purpose is to sustainably deliver an innovative and outstanding student accommodation experience.

Sign up to our newsletter

We acknowledge the Traditional Custodians of the unceded lands and waterways on which Deakin University does business. We pay our deep respect to the Ancestors and Elders of Wadawurrung Country, Eastern Maar Country and Wurundjeri Country where our physical campuses are located. We also acknowledge all First Nations Peoples that make contributions to our learning communities.

© Copyright Deakin University 2023. Deakin University CRICOS Provider Code: 00113B.