Deakin Logo

Meet our Alumni: Vanessa and Gerard Bibile

• Blog
  • 3 min read
  • Posted September 2020

blog-meet-our-alumni-vanessa-and-gerardl-2478-x-1396

Who doesn’t enjoy a good love story, especially when it involves two of our residential alumni who met on campus over two decades ago! Vanessa and Gerard both lived in the Student Village at our Burwood campus from 2000 – 2001 and were introduced to each other on their first day at a welcome BBQ. Gerard studied at Master of Commerce and after many years as a Bank Manager is now a Senior Relationship Manager. Vanessa Bibile (Nee Richards) studied Primary Teaching and Arts, and after 10 years running a business as a cake artist, has recently taken up the role of a children’s dance teacher.  

Gerard and Vanessa shared with the DeakinRes team some of their fondest memories of living on campus. For Gerard it was all about watching the Bledisloe Cup and 2000 Olympics in the common room, having massive water fights on hot days and simply hanging out with his unit family on the couch. Vanessa scouted out DeakinRes on Open Day, driving up to Melbourne and taking a tour of the residences. “…I told my parents there was no reason to look elsewhere. I knew it was the place I was meant to live and we cancelled the rest of our planned open day visits to other universities on the spot.” Her fondest memories include meeting people from around Australia and the world, late nights hanging out and chatting, communal cooking, birthday celebrations, special unit events like games nights and themed dinners, a few pranks and lots of laughter. She is quick to add that meeting her husband on day one was also up there in terms of highlights!  

Both Vanessa and Gerard credit their time on residence in shaping the people they have become. Gerard notes “…

My time on residence helped me to settle into life in Australia. I spent a lot of time with people from different backgrounds, with different opinions. This has helped me in my professional life as I work with people from all walks of life.
Gerard, Burwood Resident Alumni, 2000-01

Vanessa adds, Each person I lived with helped to shape and teach me in some way. The whole environment taught me so much! Learning to shop and cook for myself, time management and studying tips gained from fellow students, learning to live in Melbourne, and finding my way around. I grew more as a person during my time at BSV then I could ever explain. My friends helped me study and we supported each other through exams, assignments and late nights studying, including the occasional wake-up call so I wouldn’t miss class! They even sat through rehearsals in our kitchen and helped me with choreography as I studied for my dance teaching exams!” 

My time on campus shaped who I am, not only because I met my husband and life-long friends who have been there for us through thick and thin, but also because of all the wonderful life lessons I learnt through meeting so many people from so many different backgrounds.
Vanessa, Burwood Resident Alumni 2000-01

Vanessa’s advice to current residents: “…take up every opportunity, join in with social events, form study groups, talk to as many people as you can and get to know them. Get everyone’s details so that you can keep in touch in the future! And take lots of photos! This will be the best time of your life and you’ll want to look back on it. ” Gerard agrees, “…meet as many people as you can, and make sure you don’t leave any clothes in the washing machine!”   

By the end of their two years in the Vill, both Vanessa and Gerard moved into the local Burwood neighbourhood, and they’ve never left, still living around the corner from Deakin twenty years later!  

Would you like to share your story? Send us a message or contact us by email – we’d love to feature you in our next Alumni profile. 

Written by

Profile photo of author Laura Burge
Laura Burge Student Experience and Engagement Manager

Laura is widely regarded as an industry expert in the theory, planning, and delivery of exceptional student experiences, having honed her skills over the course of a career spanning two decades and multiple higher education institutions.

Deakin Residential Services

Our purpose is to sustainably deliver an innovative and outstanding student accommodation experience.

Sign up to our newsletter

We acknowledge the Traditional Custodians of the unceded lands and waterways on which Deakin University does business. We pay our deep respect to the Ancestors and Elders of Wadawurrung Country, Eastern Maar Country and Wurundjeri Country where our physical campuses are located. We also acknowledge all First Nations Peoples that make contributions to our learning communities.

© Copyright Deakin University 2023. Deakin University CRICOS Provider Code: 00113B.