Skip to navigation Skip to content

14 August 2023

Help shape the future of Deakin: nominate for a 2024 student rep position

Do you want to have a say in University decisions and policies that affect students? Well, here’s your chance to bring the student perspective to some important governing bodies at Deakin.

Each year, we hold elections for student positions on our University Council, Academic Board and faculty boards – and nominations are now open for 2024.

As a student member, you’ll need to attend meetings and read the meeting papers. You may also:

Student members are elected by other students for terms ranging from one year for Council to two years for the Academic Board and faculty boards. 

This is an amazing opportunity to advocate on student issues and stand out to future employers!

What roles are available?

Find out more about student representative positions at Deakin.

I’m interested – what do I do now?

Visit our elections page for information on the different roles, eligibility criteria and how to nominate for each position. You’ll need to submit a candidate statement for each position you’re interested in outlining why you’ve nominated, any relevant experience or skills you have and how you’ll contribute if elected. If you nominate, your name and candidate statement will be published on the Deakin elections page for voters to read.

Nominations for all roles close at 5pm on Friday 1 September – no late or incomplete nominations will be accepted.

Before you nominate, please carefully consider the time and responsibility involved. It’s a serious commitment! Here’s what former student member of University Council Dana Harding says about her tenure:

Dana Harding‘It was a steep learning curve initially. I took care to set aside sufficient time to read and understand all the board materials ahead of Council meetings to ensure I was representing the best interests of the student body. This was challenging at times, particularly while studying full time and meeting my responsibilities as DUSA President, but it was an immensely rewarding experience.

‘I learnt so much about the higher education sector and had the opportunity to meet leaders within the business and university sectors, some of whom I’m still in touch with years after my time on the Council.’

When does voting open?

Voting is open from Monday 25 September to 5pm, Friday 6 October. All eligible voters will receive an email explaining how to vote. The names of the successful candidates will be available on election websites from Tuesday 17 October.

If you’re keen to have your say by voting but don’t want to stand for election, stay tuned for more details closer to the voting period.

Where can I get more information?