Skip to navigation Skip to content
NCP Ambassador Genevieve Pop with schoolchildren in Indonesia

11 May 2023

‘Anything is possible’: masters student Genevieve on why an NCP grant is so valuable

Are you interested in integrating some overseas study and travel into your degree? Then you need to know about the New Colombo Plan (NCP). This Australian Government initiative aims to lift knowledge of the Indo–Pacific by supporting Australian undergraduates to live, study and intern in the region.

The NCP provides funding to Australian universities to support:

Masters of Secondary Teaching student Genevieve Pop is Deakin’s 2023 New Colombo Plan Alumni Ambassador. Here, she shares how the NCP program has enhanced her study experience and given her memories that will last a lifetime.

I am just over halfway through a Masters of Secondary Teaching here at Deakin. Once I graduate, I will be qualified to teach both Indonesian and English as a second language.

While I was completing my Bachelor of International Studies (Global Scholar), I was able to participate in Deakin’s Indonesian In-Country Language Program at the end of 2019. For six weeks, I and nine others attended Universitas Islam Negeri Maulana Malik Ibrahim in Malang, Indonesia, where I was able to fully immerse myself into the life of an Indonesian University student.

It would not have been possible to undertake such a program without the assistance of the New Colombo Plan mobility grant.

My language skills improved tremendously during this six-week intensive program, and it really cemented the vision that I could one day teach this language to others.

At the end of last year, I was privileged to attend an in-person NCP alumni ambassador orientation in Sydney. Over two days, I mingled with NCP alumni ambassadors from all over Australia and we networked with people from the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT), local businesses and other important stakeholders. 

Genevieve PopIt was fantastic to meet and spend time with a group of like-minded young people. Although we were all at different stages in our academic journeys, we shared one thing in common: the desire to strengthen ties with countries in the Indo–Pacific.

At the orientation, we heard from professionals who have been working in the space for many years. One salient point reiterated by several guest speakers was: we may fall into the trap of thinking that individuals cannot make THAT much of a difference; however, anything is possible if you have the right connections and the right approach.

One of the speakers was Brian Borghona from DFTA, who shared how one student had wanted to help a group of people in need in an Asian country. This student got in touch with Brian and together they worked with DFAT to create an NGO that is still up and running today. He stressed that if you are willing to give your time and energy to other people’s causes, the chances are that when you need something in return, people will be willing to help you too. 

Being a NCP scholarship or grant recipient does not end when your experience ends, it is an ongoing aspect of your life.

It will allow you to gain an appreciation for what different places have to offer, develop the ability to interculturally communicate and forge meaningful connections with individuals from other parts of the world.

Interested to learn more?

To be in the running for an NCP Scholarship, you must meet the eligibility criteria and be nominated by Deakin. Applications for 2024 close on 12 June 2023, so here’s how to apply.

If you’re interested in a short-term study abroad opportunity with an NCP mobility grant, keep an eye out on our webpage and Deakin Life to see what’s coming up during the rest of 2023.

Your course structure will determine which mobility program is most suitable for you. Our programs will allow you to gain a global perspective while earning credit towards your Deakin degree.

The world is ready for you! Where will you go?