Skip to navigation Skip to content
Students walking across Burwood Campus

23 March 2023

T1 and S1, 2023: Make sure you check your enrolment before census date

Do you know about census date? This is the last day you can drop a unit, intermit or discontinue your course for the current study period without a reference on your academic record or being liable for the full amount of your fees.

If you intend to change your enrolment in these ways, you should do so before census date.

Census date is coming up, so make sure you check in StudentConnect before the deadline that your enrolment is as you want it. Here’s everything you need to know about census date.

When is census date?

Each study period has its own census date. It’s a good idea to put the census date for your study period in your diary.

The census date for Trimester 1 and Semester 1, 2023 is Friday 31 March.

You can find census dates for all study periods on the Important dates and census webpage, including for:

Will I be liable for fees?

If you withdraw after census date, you’ll be fully liable for your fees. This means the cost of the unit/s for that study period will be added to your HECS-HELP or FEE-HELP debt (if applicable for domestic students), or you’ll owe all the fees to Deakin if you have a full fee-paying place (domestic or international).

You may also be liable for other fees, such as the Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF).

But if you withdraw before census date and:

Will the unit appear on my academic transcript?

If you withdraw before census date, the unit won’t appear on your academic transcript. If you withdraw from a unit after census date, or just stop actively studying it without further action, the unit will appear on your academic transcript.

Depending on when you do withdraw after census, the possible academic outcomes are ‘Withdrawn late’, ‘Withdrawn fail’ or ‘Fail’. So, if you’re thinking you need to withdraw from a unit, do it before census date.

What if I think I need to withdraw from a unit or course?

If you think you may not be able to continue studying and need to withdraw from a unit, intermit or discontinue your course, speak to Student Central first for advice. They may be able to give you some options or help manage your study load to allow you to continue your studies.

If you started your course after 1 January 2022 and have a CSP or use HECS-HELP/FEE-HELP, you must successfully pass at least 50% of your units for the duration of your course. Incomplete courses include those that you fail, as well as any you drop after census date.

If you don’t meet these academic progress requirements, you’ll no longer be eligible for a CSP or HELP loan. This is so you don’t incur ongoing fees that you’ll have to repay. 

If you’re an international student, your visa may be affected if you withdraw from units.

Still need to withdraw from a unit, intermit or discontinue? Find out how on the Change your enrolment details or Intermit or discontinue webpages.

What if I have more questions?

If you need more advice about how census date will affect you, speak to us at Student Central.

back to top