Skip to navigation Skip to content
PhD student Kim Anastasiou

5 October 2022

PhD student Kim explains how to fight climate change with food – and what it’s like to do a research degree

Have you considered doing a postgraduate or honours degree? If you’re wondering where further study can take you, meet Deakin PhD candidate Kim Anastasiou, who’s researching the environmental impacts of the Australian diet, and was recently named one of Australia’s top 20 researchers under 40!

Kim shares how she came to do a PhD through Deakin, what she’s researching and how we can all help to make our food systems more sustainable.

PhD student Kim AnastasiouWhat is your PhD project about?
My project aims to conceptualise and quantify the environmental impacts of ultra-processed foods – industrially produced foods that you can’t make in your own kitchen at home, such as soft drinks, instant noodles, heavily processed meats, ready meals and more.

What inspired you to do a PhD?
In high school I became fascinated by both environmental and health issues … important areas where I could have a positive impact on the world around me. At the time, I felt I had to choose between these two seemingly different domains.

My love for food and people led me to dietetics, and a Bachelor of Nutrition and Dietetics at Flinders University. This degree provided me with many of the tools I use today, and a foundation in nutrition science.

After university, I began working at the CSIRO in public health nutrition research, where I had the opportunity to be involved in projects aiming to quantify the environmental impacts of the Australian diet. So, my love of food, health and the environment began to converge.

We found that the food group that made the largest contribution to environmental impacts in Australia was discretionary foods. The synergy between the health and environmental benefits of reducing these foods was a clear winner to me, and I wanted to dive more deeply into this topic.

After meeting the team at Deakin, I pivoted to focusing on the global impacts of ultra-processed foods, rather than discretionary foods, to align with the latest international research and evidence.

How is your PhD research making an impact?
Environmental impacts of ultra-processed foods are poorly understood. By conceptualising and quantifying their impacts, I’m helping to demonstrate the mutual health and environmental benefits of reducing the production and consumption of ultra-processed foods.

This is particularly important in a world facing climate, biodiversity and health crises, as all three of these major issues are associated with the way we produce food and the types of foods we consume.

Where do you hope your PhD will take you in the future?
More research! I love what I do and would love to keep doing it. Currently, agriculture, nutrition, economic, social welfare and environmental policies are overwhelmingly created and implemented in isolation of each other.

My goal is to work across a wide range of science domains to better understand and promote systems-based solutions to improve the health, social, environmental and economic sustainability of our food system. I also hope to work closely with advocacy groups or policymakers to ensure that research is being translated into real systems-based changes.

Three words to describe your PhD research?
Ultra-processed foods, sustainability and food systems (I suppose that’s actually five)!

What’s the best part about studying at Deakin?
Being able to work with world-class researchers. I was interested in doing a PhD on a very specific topic. Deakin had the best opportunities to enable me to pursue this and join a diverse and talented research team, supported by incredible minds.

I fall within the sustainable food systems team in the Institute for Physical Activity and Nutrition, led by Professor Mark Lawrence. We have eight PhD students and seven academics, many of whom are global leaders in their fields.

Working throughout COVID-19 has been challenging; however, it has enabled the flexibility of remote work. I moved to Melbourne during the early stages of my PhD and then back home to Adelaide because of the pandemic.

I now work remotely from Adelaide. It’s been great to be surrounded by supportive family and friends while studying, and it has enabled me to continue working for CSIRO in person. I miss seeing the Deakin team on a regular basis and travel to Melbourne a few times a year.

Can you recommend something you’ve been reading/watching/listening to?
I’m really enjoying a podcast called Feed, hosted by TABLE. It explores diverse views on big, contested issues relating to food systems, and brings in top experts from across the globe to discuss them.

How can everyday Australians contribute to making sustainable, healthy food systems?
At home, it’s all about following the age-old advice – consume a diet of mostly fresh local fruits and vegetables, with minimally processed wholegrains, dairy (or alternatives), legumes and, if you prefer, a small amount of meat or fish.

If you accompany this with an eye to reducing food waste and ultra-processed food consumption, you’re onto a winner.

Get involved in community gardens, organisations such as OzHarvest or food advocacy groups. You can also consider who will support meaningful food system changes when you vote. 

Thinking about applying for further study at Deakin? Read about how it works and don’t miss our course-specific online postgraduate webinars this September and October – we’ll discuss entry requirements, professional recognition, course structures and career opportunities.