Skip to navigation Skip to content
Deakin student Nicole Scott

5 August 2022

‘Feel the fear’: how third-year student Nicole copes with uni, manages anxiety and finds joy

Are you a new student who’s finding uni a little overwhelming and aren’t sure how to find your feet? Perhaps you’re anxious about the ongoing pandemic and how best to balance these fears with everyday life. Or maybe you’d like to learn some practical ways to stay positive and enjoy uni more.

This Mind Matters week, we’re privileged to be able to share the story of Nicole (They/She). Nicole is a part-time student in the third year of a Bachelor of Social Work at Waterfront Campus and a Deakin Wellbeing Ambassador.

Nicole is bravely speaking up about their lived mental health experience as a student, including how they manage anxiety, connect with others, practise self-care, and find joy and hope even when things are hard.

Deakin student Nicole Scott‘Throughout high school and afterward, I really struggled with anxiety and depression. After Year 12, I decided to take time off to focus on my mental health. I always wanted to find a way through my mental illness so I could support others. I just wasn’t sure if I would ever get there – after years of struggling it was difficult to find hope.

‘Through therapy and understanding what I need to be well, I found a passion for not just supporting others but for following what brings me a sense of meaning and joy. That’s when I decided to feel the fear and apply to Deakin. I was feeling very anxious about studying at uni; I have always struggled academically and wondered if I had what it takes to be a successful student. I was also feeling a bit of imposter syndrome! However, I also had this deep passion.

‘In my first trimester, I was extremely nervous about all the elements of uni. At the start of a new trimester, I still wonder how it will all pan out. When I feel this anxiety, I remind myself that it is okay to feel anxious, overwhelmed or even unsure if I have chosen the right path. I give space for these feelings and take it day by day.

‘Some of the other ways I manage these feelings are through having a routine, seeing my therapist regularly, accessing Deakin peer mentoring sessions and taking time away from uni life to do what brings me joy. For me, that includes having an art session with a friend or hiking in the Otways.

Remember that whatever you are feeling about uni – whether that’s excited, nervous or questioning if it’s the right choice – you are allowed to feel that way. You are not alone in those feelings and there are no ‘bad’ or ‘wrong’ emotions.

‘Even though I am in my third year, as a part-time student I struggle to make friends. As scary as it may be, I have found that introducing yourself to others in your class is a good way to start – they are looking to make friends too!

Joining clubs through DUSA or any other opportunities that look interesting to you is another way to make friends. At first, I was very nervous about joining a club – I thought, what if I’m the only new person? But once I joined a club (Deakin Geelong Queer Collective) my worries were put to ease – everyone is so welcoming!’

You could also try …

The following may help you to make some friends, get stuck into your course content and feel comfortable at Deakin:

Still feel adrift? We can help

If you’re just not coping with uni, please don’t struggle on alone – there’s a range of health and wellbeing services that can help you.

For urgent support outside of business hours, contact Lifeline (13 11 14) or SuicideLine (1300 651 251) straight away. They’re available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.