Skip to navigation Skip to content
Deakin student Jolene

12 July 2022

‘A sense of community’: Jolene’s incredible journey to find her place at Deakin

Becoming a university student isn’t always a simple journey straight from high school – many Deakin students take other pathways to achieve their study dreams. This includes returning to study after time in the workforce, applying from overseas or sourcing a scholarship to help make higher education possible.

We welcome students from a variety of backgrounds and celebrate their perseverance, resilience and determination. Students like Jolene Rosca, who’s from the Philippines and is now in her second year of a Bachelor of Psychological Science, following her graduation from Deakin College – a Year 12 program that prepares students for entry into a bachelor degree.

Be inspired by Jolene’s story and discover the Deakin support services that are helping her to realise her academic goals.

Deakin student Jolene‘I have always been a shy and reserved person, and I love being in control of everything around me. Though I had that control through high school, I felt like I was holding back and not growing into the person I could be. I decided that studying abroad would be a good way for me to become more independent and learn more about the world.

‘When the COVID-19 pandemic hit, I initially felt discouraged about my plans to study in Australia. However, I soon saw it as an opportunity to finally take the risk and apply into the Foundation Program (Standard) at Deakin College for my final year of high school.

‘I first heard of Deakin when meeting with an education agent in Manila. Since Deakin offers high-quality education in the field of psychology, I had my eyes set on applying after I graduated from my secondary education.

‘My education counsellor was extremely helpful during my application process. She provided me with all the application forms and requirements I had to submit. Being aged under 18 at the time, I had several requirements for guardianship and accommodation, which took a relatively long time to obtain.

‘Three weeks after submitting all my requirements, I got an offer to study at Deakin through the Foundation Program Pathway. I couldn’t wait to begin my Deakin journey.

‘I started my studies online in Deakin College in October 2020. Deakin College was a good avenue to transition to university. Since the classes only had a few students, I was able to get to know my peers well. Deakin College also offers many support services to international students who are trying to adjust to the education system.

‘The lecturers, advisors and mentors were all extremely supportive in helping students reach their goals. However, the thing I value most about my time at Deakin College was the chance to learn about Australia as a multicultural society. Through exposure to people from different backgrounds, I was able to gain a better understanding of cultural appreciation. Though my studies were online, I have the opportunity of learning about other cultures as well as sharing aspects of my own.

‘Following my Foundation Program, I transferred to Deakin University in July of 2021 for my bachelor degree. It was initially a pretty daunting experience, but as the first few weeks went by I started to find my ground. Deakin was really helpful in my adjustment to university study through academic and social support services.

‘The lecturers are very understanding and supportive in providing me with the resources I need to succeed. They put much emphasis on learning things that are relevant not only to our knowledge of the subject, but also to our future careers.

Deakin has allowed me many opportunities to meet new people from a variety of places. I soon found a sense of community and slowly stepped out of my comfort zone.

‘I arrived in Waurn Ponds in mid-January 2022 when the borders reopened. I have recently been becoming more involved in university now that I am onshore. For instance, I am currently a PASS Leader and Peer Mentor for the Faculty of Health. I am also volunteering for DUSA Crew, which has been a great experience so far since I am able to make connections with people from different backgrounds.

‘In the short time I have been at Deakin, I have learned so much about myself that I hope to carry with me as I continue my journey. I am excited to resume my studies and continue to learn, discover and grow.’

How you can make the most of Deakin